cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 12.5 slow backups to disk

travesty
Level 3

We recently upgraded Backup Exec 11d to version 12.5 and then moved the application to another server.  The backup jobs, backup to disk and then are transfer to tape.  The disk to tape job is fast, 1500MB/min but the disk to disk job is slow, 200MB/min.

The server is a HP DL180 G5 with 2 quad core processors and 4GB of RAM.  The disks are SATA.

I've done some searching on the forums to see why the disk to disk jobs are running slow and have some things to try but I didn't find people experiencing this problem with version 12.5.  Any idea's I would appreciate it.

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6

You should delete your partitions, and start with just doing a disk alignment when re-creating your partitions using diskpart.exe.  This alone should give you a nice little bump in performance.

There are other things you can tweak too, like cluster sizes, and stripe sizes...

travesty
Level 3

It's a little unclear what your suggesting.  Can you explain a little more?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

How is your B2D target set up?  RAID 1? RAID 5?

is it on a different SCSI channel than the source disks?

travesty
Level 3

I believe the backup exec server, where the B2D files live, is a RAID 5.

This is how our environment is.  We have 4 blades that have VMware ESX installed on them.  On those 4 blades reside our virtual servers.  The backup server is the HP stand alone server I mentioned in my first post.  The tape drive connects to the backup server using a SCSI cable.  I'm not sure if it's on a different SCSI channel.  What is the best way to find out the answer to your questions?

Bruce_Bosco
Level 2
DId you ever solve this? We are having the same issue.