Version Hyper-V Intergation Services

apomazkin
Level 5
4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from admin guide:-

Hyper-V Integration Services with Backup (Volume snapshot) is to be installed.

Note: Using an incorrect version of Hyper-V Integration Services may lead to a virtual machine being backed up offline instead of online. For example, if you copy a virtual machine from a Windows 2012 Hyper-V host to a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V host, the Hyper-V Integration Services are not updated automatically.

So ensure the HIS Tools inside the VM match the version of the 2012 R2 Hyper-V host.

Studio_Two
Level 4

Indeed, I have moved my virtual machines (Server 2003 & Windows XP) to Server 2012 R2.

I ran the "Integration Services Setup" from within Hyper-V (I now have v 6.2.9600.16384), but I am also getting the above error.

In addition, Backup Exec seems to be closing down the virtual machines whilst the backup is taking place. Is that normal procedure?

Any clarification / assistance would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards, Stephen

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hiya Stephen,

If an offline backup of the VM is performed, then the VM is temporarily placed into a saved state, The time duration of this state depends on factors such as the amount of memory, current load etc.

Have a look @ these articles as well:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200150

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd405549%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Studio_Two
Level 4

Great!

Thanks, I loaded the Windows Server Agent onto both Hyper-V clients. The 2003 Server now backs up perfectly (without going into a "saved" state).

However, according to those articles you kindly pointed me towards, XP would appear to be unsupported (Vista is the earliest OS to be supported for online backups). The XP machine does still go into a "saved" state whilst the backup is running - but we can live with that one.

Kind Regards, Stephen