cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very infequent license error

digitlman77
Level 5

Every once in a while (maybe once a month), my Exchange backup fails immediately with the error: 

The job failed with the following error: Before you can back up this resource, you must purchase and install a license key for the appropriate Backup Exec agent. See Job Log for details.

However, if I retry the job or re-run the job right after I get this error, everything is fine.

I accidentally deleted the job log, but I don't recall there being any better info in there.

Any ideas what is causing this?  I looked at the licensing and everything looks fine.

I'm running 2010 R2 x64 4164 w/SP1.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried reinstalling Exchange Agent license ?

digitlman77
Level 5

How much of a pain is that?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Click on Tools->install options and license key->remove exchange agent license->follow wizard.

While installing follow the same wizard, make sure services are recycled during installation.

Note: Perform above steps when no backups are running else service restart will kill all the jobs.

digitlman77
Level 5

Don't need to monkey with anything on the exchange server?

Nick_Elmer
Level 6
Employee

Hi Digitlman,

Apply the latest patches via Live Update and I think you will find this has been resolved. We identified the cause of this problem and put out a patch that resolved the issue some months back. It is also resolved in 2010 R3 if you are interested in an upgrade. :)

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

Direct upgrade path from 2010 R2 to 2010 R3 : 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159557

also try this : 

good luck