Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Virtual machine servers appear after VMware vSphere backup

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear ALL.

I have a simple question.

I took a test backup (with default settings) of one virtual machine on my ESXi.

When it finished I recieve a message like:

V-79-57344-38726 - Backup Exec failed to connect to virtual machine 'My machine' and was unable to collect the necessary metadata to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup. You must install the Agent for Windows and the virtual machine tools provided by your host software on the virtual machine.

I understand what it mean that I have to install BE-agent to the guest OS and I'll do it. But why this server appears in list of servers?:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

that is correct behaviour - that object is where you click restore to see the GRT restore selections for that VM, you still use the "my vSphere" object from your screenshot if you want to restore a complete VM

The error message is stating that you need a remote agent installed and configured inside the VM if you want to do application GRT restores. If you do not need this then to get rid of the message, edit the job properties and disable the application GRT settings. Note: The error message is not the cause of why the server object appeared.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

that is correct behaviour - that object is where you click restore to see the GRT restore selections for that VM, you still use the "my vSphere" object from your screenshot if you want to restore a complete VM

The error message is stating that you need a remote agent installed and configured inside the VM if you want to do application GRT restores. If you do not need this then to get rid of the message, edit the job properties and disable the application GRT settings. Note: The error message is not the cause of why the server object appeared.

b1gg1e
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Ok. About GRT I understand.

So, do I need additional licenses for my VM's to install agents inside it? (we have V-RAY license type).

I can install agents like to a physical server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So, do I need additional licenses for my VM's to install agents inside it? (we have V-RAY license type).

No.  You are convered by your V-Ray licence

I can install agents like to a physical server?

Yes.  This is the only way.

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited
With V-Ray licenses you can install windows agents on unlimited VMs as long as you have the relevant V-Ray licenses to protect the VM host. It allows you to protect all your VMs whether they are running applications or not.