cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMI Access?

Philip_Nick
Level 2
Greetings all,

We currently use various versions of Backup Exec on our clients machines. Right now we parse log output to determine if the backup passed or failed.

I have been looking into WMI for other projects. I was wondering if Backup Exec can expose more then just the performance information through WMI. What I would really like to be able to gather is: What backups are scheduled, when they last ran and the completion status of the run. I don't know if WMI is the solution or if there is a better way to gather this information, then our current log parsing.

Thanks
Phil
3 REPLIES 3

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Philip,

With Backup Exec 11d, we introduced the opportunity to use the new customizable reports. This allows you to dive deep into whatever aspect of the database you want for reporting purposes. I would recommend you gather this information by creating custom reports.

Please let me know if this helps resolve your issue or if you find an area that this doesn't fit into for what you want to gather.

Thanks.

Philip_Nick
Level 2
The product I work on is a monitoring tool which runs on our clients systems. They are all running various different versions of Backup Exec. We currently parse your report/log files in order to determine if the back was successful. This works most of the time but it's a real pain to maintain because of changes from version to version.

I was looking to WMI for a more unified way of keeping track of the status of the backups. Is there some way to get a simple message in all supported versions which will tell us if the back ran. And if it didnt give some output as to what happened.

Thanks
PhilMessage was edited by:
Philip Nick

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Phil,

The only way that you'll be able to get this to work is through bemcmd, the backup exec command line interface. You'll need to look for the correct commands to run and then possibly through them into a script for your application.

There is no way of doing this through WMI that we know of.

Thanks.