cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Exchange files need to be backed up to recover from a disaster with Backup Exec 10D?

Dave_Smith_2
Level 3
Right now all I am backing up is the information store and system state. If there is a disaster and I have to start over with a new server and full backup tape in hand is this enough? I have been looking all over the Symantec website and google searches and I am not sure what is included in the information store beyond mailboxes. For example are all my settings in the Exchange System Manager saved in here as well?

Basically what I need to know is what else I should be backing up so I can include it and not be sorry later if I needed to restore from scratch.

Thank you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
From my side, I do:

1. Information Store
2. System State
3. metaback folder under C:\Windows\System32 (or do a search)

I successfully recovered a failed server using the Information Store and System State a couple of months ago. I don't bother with any other files or folders to do with Exchange.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

OneManITShop
Level 3
this is very detailed http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-11d-best-practices-guides

Dave_Smith_2
Level 3
I can't find the information I need here. I already looked at this guide and it does have a lot of information but it doesn't tell me specifically what I need to backup for exchange restore. The closest thing I could find was under the Exchange Agent link:

1. Perform a full backup of the Exchange Server. Include all drives and special objects as necessary. Repeat after any configuration changes are made to the server.

But this is very vauge and makes me think all Exchange files need to be backed up. But I have read lots of other posts that all I need is the information store. To put my mind at ease though I have been looking for a list of things that are included in the information store without any luck. I have no doubt that I can install a fresh copy of exchange and then restore the information store and I will have mailboxes but what about all my custom settings? Are those included in the information store or do I need to backup a config file somewhere or document them and set them again manually?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
From my side, I do:

1. Information Store
2. System State
3. metaback folder under C:\Windows\System32 (or do a search)

I successfully recovered a failed server using the Information Store and System State a couple of months ago. I don't bother with any other files or folders to do with Exchange.

Dave_Smith_2
Level 3
Excellent, thank you very much.