Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a IMG Media for GRT backups?

ddm2
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Adming Guide pag. 323

"When you run a GRT-enabled backup job, Backup Exec creates media with an IMG prefix (for example, IMG00001). IMG media is a specific media type that Backup Exec creates only for GRT-enabled backup operations. When you run a GRT-enabled backup job, the IMG media stores the backup data. "

I can't figure out what an IMG media is.

2nd question: Can I write GRT enabled backups to tape, or I have to write them to a backup-to-disk folder?

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you run a GRT backup to disk , backup exec creates a IMG folder and a linked Bkf file . The IMG folder contain the actual data in the native format For eg if you a GRT bakcup for exchange , the IMG folder would Have the .edb log files etc.

refer the following document to understand GRT backup and restore .

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

IMG folders are created for GRT enabled backups only.

You can run GRT enabled backups on Tape too but if in case you need to perform GRT restore you 

will have to stage the backup on the local disk

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from a KB article -

Data that is targeted to a backup-to-disk folder is stored in media with a B2D prefix (for example, B2D00001). When Granular Restore Technology (GRT)is enabled, two media are created in the backup-to-disk folder. One media has an IMG prefix (IMG00001) and the other has a B2D prefix. The IMG media stores the GRT data, while the B2D media acts as a pointer.