cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is needed?

John_Fucci
Level 3
I have a client that runs a small business that is expanding. They currently only have one Windows 2003 Server, but will be installing a second one in the next couple of weeks. They have 10 desktops, and also in the next couple of weeks will be installing a NAS device. Their current backup solution is not going to be able to handle the expansion, so we have started looking at other backup applications. The field has been narrowed down to either Backup Exec or Retrospect. The problem I am having is trying to get all the information I need from the website to be able to tell them which exactly which version and agents they need, and if they need to purchase any other licenses to cover their environment.

Their environment will be as follows:

2 Windows 2003 Servers
1 NAS device
Microsoft Exchange Server
10 Windows XP Professional desktops

They will need the ability to backup open files. Also, in the future SQL Server will be installed, and there may be Mac and Linux desktops installed as well. What I need to know is what base application they would need, what agents they need, and how the licensing works for each. I was able to get this information easily from the Retrospect website, but just can't seem to be able to get all the answers I need from the Backup Exec website.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

John
4 REPLIES 4

STeve_O
Level 5
I will assume you will install Backup Exec on 1 of the windows 2003 server.

So as it stands you will need the following licenses

Backup Exec Server License - this will cover backing up the local Windows 2003 server where you have the tapedrive or backup media installed.

1 Remote Agent license to cover the other Windows 2003 server.
Or get the AOFO Advanced Open File option that will allow you to backup open files. the AOFO license includes one Remote Agent license with it.

1 Exchange Agent license - this includes a remote agent license as well.

Workstations dont require license they can be backed up for free as long as the remote agent software is installed on them.

Mac Agent is free, just a matter of installing the MAC remote agent on the Mac Machine.

1 Sql server license - this included a remote agent license

The only question I have is about this NAS device..will it be windows powered or linux powered? Will this be the backup destination to disk or will you be backing up the NAS device?

John_Fucci
Level 3
Thanks Steve. Your assumption is correct, Backup Exec will only be installed on one of the Windows 2003 servers. The NAS device is going to be an Infrant ReadyNAS, and they provide step-by-step instructions for Backup Exec 9.1, but say the process should be similar for other releases. The NAS device is going to be used as user storage and not for backups. The backups for now are all going to be done to tape (the client already has a tape drive), but in the future will be a combination of backups to disk and backups to tape.

Thanks again. Now I can give my client an idea of what they will need and what it will all cost.

John

STeve_O
Level 5
John: I think you should take a closer look at the NAS device. I was intrested in you NAS and found the docementation you refered to . Thats for creating a backup to disk to the NAS device.not backing up the NAS device. There documentation is for creating a backup to disk device on the NAS to run backup job to disk(NAS).

I would contact Infrant to make sure you can back it up. Im sure its a proprietery linux OS the nas device runs on so you wont be able to install a Veritas remote agent on it. Some NAS devices emulate windows or SMB but Veritas may not be able to back it up. I would contact Infrant and see if they have setup and test backing up the NAS device with Backup Exec.

From my experience there are some NAS device that Veritas wont back up because they dont emulate a windows OS 100%

John_Fucci
Level 3
Steve,

Yes, the documentation is for setting up the NAS device for a backup disk. However, in their support forums, there is a thread where backing up the ReadyNAS with Backup Exec 10 is discussed. As long as the server can see the shares, Backup Exec can back them up. It is not the most efficient way to back it up, but it will do for now. Infrant has designed the ReadyNAS to also accept add-on modules, so perhaps one day there will be one for a Backup Exec agent.