cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What products do I need?

ash77
Level 2
Hi All,

I am upgrading out server infrastructure and will be purchasing a Backup Exec 12.5 solution to suit.

The infrastructure setup will consist of the following:

A VMware ESXi server with 3 virtual Windows Server 2003 guests - 1 SBS server, 1 file server, and 1 print server.

A physical Linux FTP server.

My understanding is that I should probably setup:

1 dedicated physical Windows Server 2003 machine with the following Symantec products:
Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers
Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures

On the virtual SBS server:
Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for Active Directory
Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 Agent for Exchange

Does this setup sound about right?

Does
Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures only need to be installed on one Windows server? I assume it can see an ESXi installation over the network?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions to come!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ash
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Does sound about right, although the Agent for Active Directory is only needed if you want the ability to restore indivudual items (GRT) from Active Directory - the System State of the SBS server (and therefore provision for restoring a complete AD from a disaster is available without this agent.

You don't however describe if you are concerned about possible SQL or Sharepoint (SBS version dependent) components on your SBS server.

Bear in mind the agent and option licenses are installed on the Media Server (same place as core Backup Exec product) for Exchange and AD you just install the agent software into the SBS server, for AVVI a VCB Proxy needs installing - which can be on the Media Server as well. The VCB Proxy provides the interface between Backup Exec and the VMware snapshot processes. In your case as an over the network (NBD Transport). Although if the Media Server can be SAN connected to the same disk storage as the ESX server uses for your virtual machines then it is possible to use a SAN Transport.

By the way for AVVI and for the GRT processes for Exchange and AD - you will need a reasonable amount of local disk space in the media server as both rely primarily on disk storage  - with options for writing to tape.

You don't state the version of your Linux FTP server - which in theory can be protected with the RALUS agent - but this does depend on the version of the OS.

BTW there is an SBS license for Backup Exec - but this can only be used if the Backup Exec Media Server will be on the SBS server and although this can be done inside a VM, access to tape drives (if needed) is often limited by the virtual machine itself.

ash77
Level 2
Thanks Colin, you have given me a bit there to go on with.

Quick question - the VCB Proxy, is this a Symantec product?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
It's a VMWare product that Backup Exec requires to use AVVI

Please review the AVVI section in the Admin Guide (starting on Page 1591 but in particular the requirements section)
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/308400

FYI Best Practices doc for AVVI
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/311683