cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is Info for Jobs, Media, Etc. Saved?

pnewell
Level 4
Hi All,
Yesterday my Backup Exec 12.5 server suffered a hardware failure, and since it was a server that is no longer under warranty, I need to move the BE setup to a new server.
I reinstalled the BE server software and have it at a very "Base" configuration right now, but I was curious to see if there was anyway I can restore the scheduled job info from a backup over the weekend.  If so, where is that info stored?  The SQL database it requires?  Files in Program Files directory?  The registry?  A little bit of everything?

Again, I do have a good backup of the original configuration, and I'd really like to try and save myself some (additional) pain here...

Thanks in advance!  :)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The data for BE is stored in your: %installationdir%\Data folder. This would include catalogs, and more importantly your database.
If you have this, copy it across, and in beutility.exe, select the option to load the database from backup.

Beutility.exe --> All Media Servers --> right-click your server name and choose Recover Database --> Drop existing database and reload from backup

If this doesn't work, stop your BE services, and rename your current Data folder to Data_old. Copy your backup Data folder into the installation directory, and then restart your services. THis should now redetect all your media information, job information etc.

Please let us know if this works.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
The data for BE is stored in your: %installationdir%\Data folder. This would include catalogs, and more importantly your database.
If you have this, copy it across, and in beutility.exe, select the option to load the database from backup.

Beutility.exe --> All Media Servers --> right-click your server name and choose Recover Database --> Drop existing database and reload from backup

If this doesn't work, stop your BE services, and rename your current Data folder to Data_old. Copy your backup Data folder into the installation directory, and then restart your services. THis should now redetect all your media information, job information etc.

Please let us know if this works.

pnewell
Level 4
You sir, are awesome! 
It looks like that did the trick.  When restoring it said that there were some errors, but I don't see that anything is out-of-place.  Perhaps it was referring to the fact that the old Catalog data is missing (I moved it to a different volume and didn't back it up) or that the backups for the last few days have failed, but otherwise the jobs look like they're all still configured properly.

I suppose tonight will be the true test, to make sure that the jobs do indeed work as advertised.  I'll report back to let you know if they work properly, but it looks like this did it.

Thanks again, Craig!

CraigV
Rad, glad this is solved.

pnewell
Level 4
Hi Craig (and anyone else who might stumble on this thread),
All of my tape-based backups ran properly last night!  My Exchange, which is B2D, did not though, however.

I came into the office this morning at 9:45a or so and saw that the Exchange backup was "Queued" (when it is normally finished by 5:00a).  I cancelled the job then viewed the log and it said " - Error - Mount failed."

From what I can find, it might be that the agent was just screwy on Exchange or the database I restored might have some problems (but my other jobs are running without any problem).
Any thoughts on what might be wrong here?  I have since restarted the agent on Exchange and rebooted the Backup Exec media server.

Thank you!

CraigV
It could have been waiting for that B2D to either become available, or it lost the connection.

pnewell
Level 4
That's the thing I don't get - it's a local (physical, not SAN or NAS) disk that has the sole purpose of being the Exchange backup media set.

Since it is a different server, physically, do you think I may need to recreate those backup jobs and/or the media set?  I figure that's my next step, anyway, as the backup did the same thing today.  :(

CraigV
They should either be listed under Devices, and if not, I'd recreate them. Your job is probably looking for something that doesn't exist, hence the message.

pnewell
Level 4
Yeah, they're there, so it's an odd one.
..but then again, I shouldn't have expected it all to come back from the dead without any problems, right?  ;)  
At least I have the jobs for reference, so I can view the all of the options and recreate the backup sets & the jobs.

Thanks again for all your help, Craig! 

pnewell
Level 4
I just wanted to write back to let you know that my Exchange jobs are working okay now that I recreated the B2D folders and the backup jobs.  A little fine-tuning is needed, but I'm back to normal.

Thanks again for your help, Craig!

CraigV
No problems man! Glad it helped.