cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup completed with exceptions

wjreinhard
Level 3

We are running Backup Exec 12 in our environment.  Normally, our backups run without a hitch.  However, last night we received the message that the backup completed with exceptions.
All of the files that were skipped (the exceptions) were associated with databases. 

1. What causes BE to skip these files? 
2. Is there anything that can be done so it backs them up in the future?

Thanks in advance for the help.

7 REPLIES 7

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
There are two possibilities why it started failing suddenly. 1. These are newly added files. 2. You are not using AOFO now, as compared to in the past. These are open files, hence exceptions. YOu may want to use AOFO for backup. I am not sure, if these are SQL/Exchange/Oracle/DB2 files, you are talking about. If that is the case, you may want to use Agents for backup..

Thanks

wjreinhard
Level 3
What is AOFO?  These are SQL files.  But they had been backed up in the past.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
AOFO is advanced open file option. You can go to backup job properties and select advanced open file option and enable it. SQL databases are not recommended to be backed up directly as files, in stead SQL Agent is recommended, which can give you a consistent backup and also point in time recovery.
Thanks

wjreinhard
Level 3
We have purchased the SQL Agent license for BackupExec. How would I make sure it is being used?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
You should select SQL selections then, and do not backup the files from file system. In Be selections, you would see your drive letters and your SQL selections. Use SQL selections for database backup and exclude the files from backup, as SQL Agent should take care of them.

Thanks

wjreinhard
Level 3
So, if someone had a file open would that cause BE to skip the file, thereby causing the exception?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Symantec have always told me not to use AOFO with SQL. It prevents redirecting an SQL restore to another server. Had that problem once before, and they pointed it out to me, so just make sure that you have your bases covered too.