cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to put my backupexec server?

BallandBiscuit
Level 3
My current setup is this...

Win 2K3 server acting as main fileserver (about 400Gb) with BackupExec 10d and Dell PV132T changer.  This server then backs up the following over the network...

2 x SQL 2005 Servers
1 x Exchange 2000 Server
6 x Servers running various things like IIS, Mailmarshal and test systems.

I am about to upgrade our Exchange setup to 2007 so I shall be going to 11d for the backups.

The backup system has always been atatched to the fileserver for reasons of speed.  However now I am begginning to wonder if I should have a dedicated server for this task and then do it all over the network.  My concern here is how long it takes to copy 400Gb across a gigabit LAN.  However I am thinking about CPS and I guess once it has copied once it just continually updates and therefore doesn't need to copy the entire filesystem every time I run a full backup?

Any advice here would be appreciated.
1 REPLY 1

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
As for CPS, you are correct in the regards that once it does it's first full backup, then only new files or changes to existing fiels will be backed up, so the impact is less.  If you will be using CPS with Exchange backups, you have to consider that in that scenario a Full job will run (on the schedule you select) which is a normal Full backup of everythign in Exchange.  The CPS portion of that setup is the copying of log fiels as they are created on the exchange server.  When a Recovery Point job runs (as part of a CPS Exchange job) all it does is backup the newly copied transaction logs, so that keeps the network activity low,a nd tells the Exchange server it can purge transaction logs as needed.  Just bear in mind though, the Full exchange job will bring all exchange data across the network and not just changed log files.