cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which license?

Kristof
Not applicable
Hello all,
At the moment, there's running BackupExec version 9.1 on a 32bit Server, Windows 2000 Server SP4.
Our mailserver is Exchange 2000, also on a 32bit server, running Windows2000 Server SP4.
Now we are wanting to upgrade to Exchange2007. Therefore, we foresaw a 64bit server. Of course, we must upgrade BackupExec too, to version 11d.

My first question is if we can install BackupExec11d on a 32bit machine, to take backups of the 64bit mailserver?

Secondly: I see some different versions of BackupExec. Can you please clarify which version we need to take?
We want to backup: Active Directory, Exchange 2007, files on a fileserver and SQL databases.
Since I saw the following different versions, I'm a bit confused:
* Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers
* Symantec Backup Exec 11d Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
* Symantec Backup Exec 11d Agent for Microsoft SQL Server
* Symantec Backup Exec 11d Agent for Windows Active Directory
I guess we don't need to buy them all, do we?

Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Kristof
1 REPLY 1

susanthas-123
Level 3
Hi Kristof,

I'm pretty sure you can backup 64bit svr data on the 32bit Backup Exec Svr without any hitch. After all backup shouldn't worry about the destination media too much.

To answer your second question, You'll need to purchase Backup Exec 11d. After that if you want to recovery individual user account in the AD or recover whole AD you'll need to purchase the addin to that and that is called Backup Exec Windows Active Directory Agent. Sames goes to Exchange, with the help of agent you can recover invidual e-mail or e-mail box without restoring the whole exchange databse. What's more you don't have to do brick level mailbox backup!! Same goes for the SQL agent. As you can see those are addins for the Backup Exec 11 d and not seperate products. HTH