cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which option for: "How do you want to restore the databases?"

TechGuyHere
Not applicable

In the BE 15 (14.2) Restore Wizard for a 2010 Exchange mailbox database to a newly power shell created recovery database which selection should be used and why:

• Restore all the transaction logs and do not delete the existing transaction log
  • Purge the existing data and restore only the databases and transaction logs

I have three two year old mailbox databases to restore.  I've used each selection on two of them and am unable to mount the database unless I use eseutil /p.  This can lead to loss of data.  Anyone familiar with this?

From the 15 Admin guide:

About redirecting Exchange restore data
With Backup Exec, you can restore Exchange data to the server from which it was
backed up or redirect the Exchange data to a different location. When redirecting
Exchange data, the service pack on the Exchange Server where data is being
redirected should be the same as the service pack on the original Exchange Server

As a two year old backup, the service pack / rollup versions are likely not the same.  This seems like a serious limitation for older data or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello there,

It would be adviced to use the 2nd option " Purge the existing data and restore only the databases and transaction logs " as in the RDB there is no transaction and you can safely purge that database to then restore from the backups.

If you are facing problem during mounting then there is a possibility that the database is corrupted.

Regards,

-Sush...