cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Veritas queue jobs

Kim
Level 3
we currently have 3 jobs that run every night (most of them are very successfully).

Today, we had one of those jobs queued with no reason why. I was unable to make the job active and ended up just canceling it (by accident). What is the cause for jobs to be queued and how can I take it out of being queued to run now.
11 REPLIES 11

Kim
Level 3
please help.... someone has to have had this problem before.

Ricky_Lee
Level 3
Can you provide more information? There are lots of possibilities.

Did the backup tape filled up so that it was waiting for additional media?

Kim
Level 3
We currently have a pretty big tape library... it hold around 200 tapes so I don't think that was the problem. I have recently upgraded the firmware for the library and it has been running successfully until now..... Veritas is queueing jobs.

I don't see any reason for it (in the event logs for the operating system or within Veritas). Once the job is queued I don't know how to make it active.

Thanks for your response.... If you need more information, please let me know.

Kim
Level 3
you said there are lots of possibilities, could you list some of them please?

Al_Capone_2
Level 4
Go in the device section
Take a look to see if you r server is PAUSED.
If it is, righ click on it and remove the Pause

Al_Capone_2
Level 4
you can also verify if you have enought tapes.
you can verify if the append period is not expired in you media sets
Can you overwrite the tapes.
Can you verify if you are having some hardware jobs that are running Exeample an Export.
Verify you alerts
Turn off the librairy, turn off backup exec,
Turn on the librairiy turn on Backup exec. If this is not working
Shutdown the librairy, shutdown your backup server then turn on the robot, wait until it has fininsh to load itself, then turn on the server and see what is happening
That should gives you some tips

Kim
Level 3
Thanks ....... The reboot seemed to help. I had already checked the tapes, overwrite protection and verify that there was enough tapes. The device was never paused, I understand that problem and know how to fix it (most of the time).

but if I run into this problem again..... is there anyway to start the queued job without cancelling it?

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Queued jobs can not be started without canceling it.
Generally backup job goes in queued state due to any of the following possibilities, so in future if backup job goes in queued state then you can check any of the following

1. Desired media is not available in targeted media set
2. Server or Device is in paused state
3. SCSI timeout or Hardware related issue.

Ricky_Lee
Level 3
Just an added note.
I am also using tape library.
I have one server a the Primary SSO server and four secondary servers.
If somehow a secondary server lost communication to Primary server and it resumed later without a reboot, I found that the device still showing normal status. After I restart BackupExec services, all backup device when into offline mode. Finally, I need to reboot the secondary server in order to recover the service.

Kim
Level 3
Thanks for the replies.... I think I can understand better why jobs are queued.

Hopefully in the future, Veritas will develop a way to restart queued jobs.

Rusman_Hadijant
Level 2

After so many trial and error somehow I found I can continue the long queue status backup in netbackup 6.5.4

You need to see from detail activity what is the message, for me it mentioned about Max job policy and Max job per clients.
-First I reconfigure Max job per Clients at Master server setting from 2 become 99, this to ensure if client run more than 2 times it will still running fine
-Second I change the any backup policy which have 'checked / marked' on max job per policy, you need to unchecked this. This will ensure that there is no limit max job when this policy running

Somehow I find my backup is still in the queue, then what I do

I find the whole of my ACS tape library tape drives are full of tapes but somehow on the active backup job I didnt see any activity which are using any of the tapes mounted at this ACS tape library (I guess this is bugs between Netbackup 6.5.4 and Libattach / Storagetek tape library),
-Dismount all tapes drives manually from each tape drive to free the drives

Go to command prompt and issue this command below ( this will ensure to up all netbackup services without stopping it -> because i want to continue the queue without cancelling all current active jobs)
c:\>bpup -v

Go to robot inventory section like you would like to inventory the tapes, but choose "Compare contents with Volume COnfiguration and click START

Not long after this... Hallelujah... ., suddenly the whole queue jobs are running smoothly and backing up to all tapes......

Hope this help you

Cheers....