cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my remote backup taking so long????

S_T_2
Level 4
I am running my backup late night while there is no activity on the network (i think) but when i'm backing up my remote servers, it takes like 6 -9 mb/min.

1 location w/3g takes 8-10hrs... we are running on a frame T-1 line and boy is it slow..

ANy way to BOOOST it up??? i've tried to bu to disk but same results.

Thanks for your help.

ST
36 REPLIES 36

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
HI I am facing the same problem even after making full uplex and now back to auto negotiate.
as i donn have full duplex for 1000Mb
please suggets what should I do.
regards

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

Could you please run backups of the remote machines with the ntbackup utility so as to isolate the issue? Also, ensure that the remote agents on all the machines ar running as Local System accounts. Could you also try copying a few files from the remote machines over to the media server over Windows Explorer?

How long does it take for the data transfer?

Please keep us updated on the issue.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Shailendra_Agar
Level 3
Hi When i copy the files from that machine its very fast, the remote agent is running with right credentials.
the only thing which is slow is the mailboxes everything else looks allright.
the speed diffrence is 24mb/min and 1024 mb/min in mailboxes and Information store.

S_T_2
Level 4
MY backup is slower maybe due to going thru remote desktop but :

Veritas normal:
~9mb/min

NTbackup
~7mb/min

Copy
~7mb/min

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hi

Why don't you run network tests on your network between the media server and the remote server in both the directions.

Refer: apparentnetworks.com/sas

Send us the resulting XML files through our FTP:

FYI:

Customers can upload content to the incoming directory on ftp.support.veritas.com using any standard FTP Client.

Method 1: Using a standard FTP Client such as CuteFTP
Connection: Connect to the server "ftp.support.veritas.com"
User-id: anonymous
Password:
Navigation: Go to the /pub/support/incoming directory

At this point, users can upload files following the rules outlined above.

Method 2: Using a shell window on a UNIX box or MS FTP on a Windows box
Connection: Type "ftp ftp.support.veritas.com"
User-id: anonymous
Password:
Navigation: cd /pub/support/incoming

At this point, users can upload files following the rules outlined above and a standard FTP "put" command.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

S_T_2
Level 4
Ashutash.
I have just ftp'd your site the 2 xml files. plz check them out and let me know if you need anything else.

thank you.

ST

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
S.T

I would like to know, what the names of the files are, which have been uploaded to the FTP Server?

Regards, Ashutosh NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

S_T_2
Level 4
i beleive it was upb_to_nserver.xlm and vice versa

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Refer the technote given below for further settings :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/249090
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237444
http://support.veritas.com/docs/190828

Also check the option selected in BE under Tools > Options > Network and Firewall > Default network interface .. Use any available network interface ??

Also have you tride the same data backup to backup-to-disk if now you backing up to device ..

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

S_T_2
Level 4
Hi Gauri.
I have already did 249090 & 237444. I have just changed the virtual memory but much lower than what it is set currently. i can only reboot 1 server currently. i will check tomorrow.

The Use any network interface is set as such
disk - disk backup was about the same speed.

ST

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Also let us know the following:

Are you backing up any databases (like Exchange) over the network? If yes, try splitting the backup.

Is AOFO activated in backup job properties? Disable AOFO and test throughput.

Check for any errors in event log.

Disable anti virus and verify the backup speed.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

S_T_2
Level 4
I changed the V memory as suggested but its worse by almost 2mb /min.

More help PLEASE.

thanks
ST

S_T_2
Level 4
1 remote server has a small 200mb db

AOFO is not enabled (if disabled - whats the use?)

Error log in BE has skipped ~3 NAV.tmp files

will test disabling SAV

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi ST,

Have you already tested the backup with the SAV disabled? What does the throughput look like?

Please keep us updated!

S_T_2
Level 4
OPS.. sorry.
Had major problem w/our PDC going down so no chance.
i have set tonight..
will let you know.

ST

S_T_2
Level 4
No change. 10mb/min

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Are there any third party applications that are running? Kindly stop these Services durning backup

-- Try reinstalling the remote agent..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.