cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will v.8.5 still work if I install a v.11d Remote Server Agent on it?

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
I have to continue running Backup Exec v.8.5 on my Exchange 5.5 Server, which has an internal DAT72 tape drive. But there is too much data on that server (other than Exchange) to fit onto a DAT72 tape. So I want to backup all that other stuff to my new v.11d server and my new DLT-S4 drive. Can I push install the v.11d Remote Server Agent onto that server and back it up remotely *without messing up* my v.8.5 Exchange backups?
Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
Bump back up to the top - because I really really need to know before Monday. How about it Symantec? Yes or No?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you were running v9.0 or later, the answer would be a defininte NO, but with v8.5 I really don't think so

v9.0 uses the "remote" agent for local backups as well as networked backups, while v8.x just accesses the data via the file system

that being said, the v11 RA probably will install a few DLLs that will make the v8.5 code choke

I guess v8.5 is still working for you :-), but the upgrade to v8.6 is free

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
Do you think its safe to try it? Can I uninstall the v.11d remote agent and be back where I started from?

Is there something worth having in the upgrade to 8.6? Would that stand a better chance of working with a v.11d remote agent? I really don't want to mess around with the v.8.5 because its been working fine for years and years. :(

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The only difference between v8.5 and v8.6 is a few patches and B2D

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Sherry_Bayless
Level 4
Hi Shweta,

I still need to know if I can install the v.11d Remote Agent onto another media server that is running v.8.5 of Backup Exec. My original question above is still unanswered.

I would also like to know - if I try installing v.11d Remote Agent on that server and it messes up my v.8.5, will uninstalling it return my system to its original working condition? Is it safe for me to try it, and uninstall the RA if it doesn't get along with v.8.5?

Thanks!

J_Peralta
Level 4
I've got a question along these same lines:

I've installed all parts of 11d on our servers except the 1 server that runs our old version of BE 8.6. I'd like to install the 11d agent on this server without having to uninstall BE 8.6 Media server so that in the future if there was a problem with 11d or our new autoloader we could still utilize the older BE 8.6.

My question is: Can I simply disable the Backup Exec services and install the 11d agent without any problems?

I've searched this forum and this is the closest thread to my problem. Thanks.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Sherry:

I would not recommend installing the 11d Agent on a machine that has version 8.x. We have changed installers, as well as the location of our registry entries between these versions. Installing the 11d Agent would cause an upgrade of the registry keys to take place and in all likely hood make version 8.x no longer function.

You can always install the 11d agent on the machine, and keep your 8.x media handy to if you ever need to restore any of the old data. I also need to point out that both version 8.5 and 8.6 have been end of lifed, so support is no longer available on them if something were to go wrong.

J:

my response to you is similar to Sherry. in both your cases we cannot have the two versions of the product co-existing.

You can install 11d on the 8.6 media server and read the tapes, and in most cases successfully read and restore the NTFS file backups that you did.

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Backup Exec for Windows Servers Free E-mail Support
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/email_forms/intro_emailsup.asp

J_Peralta
Level 4
Joshua, Thanks for the info, I just want to make sure I'm clear on something before I proceed. I only want to install the 11d remote agent and keep the 8.6 media server but just stop the services and let it sit on the HD. I've got a different server running BE 11d.

I assume what you're saying is that even though one is an agent and one is a media server that there are some shared registry entries? Please let me know if that is accurate.

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
J:

you are correct. The short answer is you cannot install the 11d Remote Agent on an 8.x Media server.

Joshua Kane
Symantec