cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinXP SP1 vs SP2 & "Access denied to directory boot files"

Jim_Bryce
Level 3
Greetings!

I recently added "System State" to the other selections on our WinXP workstations that are backed up.

Those w/WinXP SP1 back up completely and succeed.

Those w/WinXP SP2 record the following errors:

"Backup - \\ \System?State"
"Access denied to directory boot files"

And I can't figure out why that is happening. Here's our configuration:

BackupExec v9.1 rev 4691
beremote (on clients) v9.1.4691.49
All WinXP SP2 systems have the firewall disabled via Group Policy.
BackupExec account is member of Admin group
BackupExec account has the following 'User Rights' besides standard Admin-type
- Act as part of the operationg system
- Back up files and directories
- Create a token object
- Log on as service
- Replace a process level token

Does any one have any thoughts or answers to this?

Please?

t/c,

Jim

"Guam: Where America's Day Begins!"
5 REPLIES 5

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

You have mentioned that the error " Access denied to directory boot files " has occurred . This issue could occur due to permission related issues of Backup Exec service account.

Ensure that Backup Exec service account(BESA) is a member of Domain Administrator and local administrator group only. Remove it from users and Backup operator groups.This would eliminate any most restrictive permissions being applied.

This step should be carried out on media server and as well as on all remote systems.

The Following rights must be assigned to the Backup Exec service account :

--Log on as a service,

--Act as part of the operating system and

--Create a token object.

Ensure that the restrict anonymous setting is enabled on Backup Exec as well as suspected remote system.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Bryce
Level 3
I appreciate you taking the time to provide an answer. I did follow the instructions for "enable support for Restrict Anonymous" on both the server and workstations being backed up and restarted the services.

However, the result was the same "Access denied to directory boot files".

Regarding your other suggestions dealing w/the permissions of the BackupExec account, please re-read (or really read it for the 1st time) my initial post. I specifically detailed the permissions and settings for the BackupExec service account, even to describing it the same way (I read the same post).

Thank you.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Try creating a new LOG-ON account and give this account all the privilieages such as local and domain admin rights and try to run the backup of system state data.
Creating LOGON account:
1) Click network and select Logon account.
2) Click new logon account and put in the user name and password (which you have created in the Active directory ) which has both the local as well domain admin rights .
3) set as defaullt system logon account.

Now, run the backup of System state data.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jim_Bryce
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm trying it now but it'll be a day or so before I know if it works.

I will post the results when I get them so please don't close out this thread just yet!

Thanks!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please keep us updating on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.