cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 98 SE Remote Agent

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Having spent the best part of the morning talking to the Veritas Technical Support people, I understand that Windows 98 SE Remote Agent is no longer supported (or works!) in v10.

I'm surprised that this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the Readme file or on your website. Is it not a god idea to clearly publish this removal of functionality?

The technician didn't know if this agent has been dropped or if work was still being done on it for a possible future inclusion.

Does anyone know if Windows 98 SE is gone for good?

Richard
4 REPLIES 4

Darpan_Thaker
Level 5
Backup Exec v10 does not support the protection of Windows 98 SE systems. You can refer the Backup Exec v10 Software compatibility list to verify the same.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264484

Richard_Wagstaf
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Thank you Darpan,

In that case I'm going to have to revert back to 9.1. Does anyone know if I should expect any problems by uninstalling v10 from my Small Business Server box?

Koenraad_Lelong
Level 4
A few remarks :
-If you go to the link supplied by Darpan Thaker you will see that Win98 and WinME ARE supported (checked on april 6 '05).
-Why is there an agent for Win98 on the CD if it dosn't work ? Or did Veritas came to the conclusion it doesn't work after all.
I installed it, and tried it, but it seems not to work (I don't see it in remote selections). However, I can make backups of a shared directory. But then I get a message : The job completed successfully. However, the following conditions were encountered:
Could not completely protect remote computers because
the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not
installed.

Lenny_Burns
Level 3
I should be stunned by the response of the Veritas support rep, but alas, i am not.

Its the same thing over and over.

the very link that you listed do demonstrate that windows 98 is NOT supported, actually lists it as BEING SUPPORTED.

I have TWO very important legacy schedulers that i must backup routinely.

Unfortunately I cannot replace them beucase the code that we execute on them is not supported by the vondor for upgrading.

SO..

Now that I have BE 10.0, and i get "not authorized with this edition of the product" messages when i go to back it up, then what am I supposed to do now?

The 9.1 agents are supposed to WORK with the 10.0 software.

I'm eager to hear what the solution is to this problem.