cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

autoloader installation problem

Ric_Turner
Level 4
I am trying to get a Dell PV124T attached to my system. It is a Dell PowerEdge server running Windows server 2000. I have just installed BEWS10.0 and loaded the latest 10.0 drivers. However BEWS only sees the device as a stand alone drive and not an Autoloader. I have updated the Medium Changer in Device Manager so that it is no longer the Dell drivers but is now the genereic Microsoft ones and the Tape Drive is using the Veritas drivers. However, if I run the Diagnostics on BEWS then it says that the Autoloader is off-line but the drive in on-line. Can you help me get this device working?
2 REPLIES 2

Andrew_Katafias
Level 3
> I am trying to get a Dell PV124T attached to my
> system. It is a Dell PowerEdge server running Windows
> server 2000. I have just installed BEWS10.0 and
> loaded the latest 10.0 drivers. However BEWS only
> sees the device as a stand alone drive and not an
> Autoloader. I have updated the Medium Changer in
> Device Manager so that it is no longer the Dell
> drivers but is now the genereic Microsoft ones and
> the Tape Drive is using the Veritas drivers. However,
> if I run the Diagnostics on BEWS then it says that
> the Autoloader is off-line but the drive in on-line.
> Can you help me get this device working?

Your server should see the Autoloader as an "Unkown Medium Changer Device" with Windows drivers, and the tape drive as the Dell tape drive (Probably an HP one) with Veritas drivers.
Make sure the server is off, then check the SCSI numbers on the Autoloader, with the drive being at 6 and the loader at 5. These can be changed on the front panel, but every change will require a re-boot of the server. My 122T shows up as Dell 1 for the loader and Dell 2 as the drive.
Reboot the server, and check the SCSI adapter readouts during the boot sequence.

The 122T has 8 slots of LTO 1. The slots will show up uder Dell 2. I'm presuming the 124T will be close to the same setup if you run the generic setups.

If for some reason the Autoloader is shut off, then turned on with the server running, you'll lose connectivity and you'll have to re-boot the server.

Ric_Turner
Level 4
This is now resolved. You MUST have the latest version of v10.0 (Release 5520) and the latest drivers. Previous builds of BEWS will not work.