cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automating Inventory job for autoloader

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi All,

I am using Veritas 10d with HP 1/8 auto loader in Windows . And I am using 5 tapes for a week with 1 day overwite protection.

Here what I would like to know is ...

After swapping tapes for the next week, now we are doing manual inventory for all the tapes.

This inventory tasks takes quite long time to complete, and if not necessary I want to skip this process when I replace the tapes every time.
(I do not mind doing this process if it cause of failing a regular full backup job.)

Could any one help me to how I can automate the inventory job for all the tapes (5 tapes) in a library for a week? With out user involvement before the regular backup starts for a week.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly check the Option Inventory all the tape drives on the backup exec service startup under Tools>Options>Preferences.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi Swetha,

Thank you very much for youre reply...

I got your solution, before doing trying that i would like clarify few things with you regarding this option... Since i am not familiar with this...

1. could you please explain how this option is working, what will do? and how it
will meet my requirement?

2. Will it only inventory the tapes at startup of backexec serveices.
based on that i am understanding that i need to restart the services to inventory
the tapes write???

3. As i mentioned in my previouse post i am using libraries for 5 in a week..
If i do inventory at middle of the week ( ex.. Wednesday) will that afffect
autoloader's rotation.

Because i thought to try out this option. But i am in middle of backup rotation.. thats y i thought to confirm . Because i dont want to disturb my live servers daily backup rotation.

Thanks in Advance

Kindly check the Option Inventory all the tape drives on the backup exec service startup under Tools>Options>Preferences.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Sankar,

Select this option to have Backup Exec inventory all of the media in the storage devices when Backup Exec's services are starting.

Depending on the number of storage devices attached to your system, this process may take a few minutes. If you are using a robotic library, all of the robotic library's slots are inventoried.

Hope this helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Hi

Thank you for your response. And i believe you have read all my quires..but i have got answer for only one question (NO.1), so could you please clarify about rest. It would be very thankful to you.. Because i am waiting for very loooooooong time to get resolution for this.

What I would like to know is.. if I select this option in my daily backup, will it inventory daily, before the backup starts.

And do i need to restart the Backup services every time to inventory.. Correct me if i am wrong.

And also clrify will the inventory job distrub the tape rotation, if i run at middle of the week..

Thank you.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

What I would like to know is.. if I select this option in my daily backup, will it inventory daily, before the backup starts.

-Yes it will provided the services are restarted

And do i need to restart the Backup services every time to inventory.. Correct me if i am wrong.

-Yes the services should be restarted

And also clrify will the inventory job distrub the tape rotation, if i run at middle of the week..
-No, it wont.Running an inventory job just forces Backup Exec to recognise all the tapes present in the slots.

Please refer:

How and why to perform an Inventory and Catalog

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269948

As an alternative you could schedule the inventory job before the backup job starts

Refer to:
Can utility jobs be scheduled in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.x for Windows Servers?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255442

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sankar_ganesh
Level 4
Thank you very much Padmaja... I cleared.. But before that i have created batch file to run the BEMCMD command by weekly..

The stuff which you have given also is useful for me.

thank you for all who responded my ques.