cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up to disc

Zaida
Level 3

Hi,

I'm looking for information on the best practice for backing up to disc. 

BE 12 for windows

rev 1364

windows 2003R2, enterprise edition, SP2

thanks

Zaida

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Any specific questions?

Have you read through the Admin Guide?

Zaida
Level 3

These are the questions I have:

what should we set the file size to when backing up to an ntfs system?  one of our jobs is 500gb. 

should we create a folder for each day of the week and then a subfolder for each job?

should we delete the files created by the job in the backup to disc folder after the retention of the job has come to an end orshould we set the retention time for the media and select to append the media?

thanks

Zaida

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

1)  i'd leave the max file size at the default.  This is the max each BKF file can be before a new one is created.  larger sizes will be faster (less file system overhead) but can waste more space in the last BKF file of a backup set

2) You can, but since you let BackupExec manage the files anyway, you can point every thing to one device if you want

3)  From tools\Options\Media Management, verify that overwrite protection is either FULL or PARTiAL and that the option to "reuse overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media" is selected

Then set the OPP (Overwrite Protection period) for each media set such that when you no longer want/need the data, BackupExec can overwrite/reuse those BKF files