cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backup exec 12.5 - ready; no media servers are available

Kish437
Level 3
Hello All,
We are running backup exec 12.5 with MSL6000 tape libraries(having 15 slots and one stand alone drive).While running the scheduled jobs it was showing like ready; no idle devices are available. We have restarted backup exec services. But it was showing same status. Then we have deleted devices (drives) from backup exec level and reconfigured the same. But it was not resolved. Then we upgraded patches. And the we checked in job monitor and found job status like ready; no media servers are available in job status. We have restarted backup exec services. But still the same status is showing.

I am not getting where the problem is exactly (is it is a problem with software or hardware). Can U please suggest us to resolve the same?
4 REPLIES 4

chicojrman
Level 6
Ensure that the device is visible/detected in the windows device manager.if its not scan for hardware changes and ensure that it appears there.If not contact your hardware vendor or check the connectivity/interface. If the device is detected in the device manager,DISABLE and then DELETE the device in backup Exec and then RESTART the backup Exec services:It should come up fine.
You can also try to power off and power it on back the backup drive. Veryify that you have Veritas drivers for the device.

John_LI1
Level 2
I had to repair backupexe via installer.  this has happend many time, don't remember how many.

John_LI1
Level 2
this is my fixed.  firmware update for the library...

DCollacott
Level 2
IDR files locations were pointing to a directory where the backup exec service (or user account for bexec) did not have access to. Changed the IDR path to allow access to a service account for bexec as well as myself and the service runs fine now.

Other things that might be worth considering are various other read/write access and paths in 'Options...'

Event viewer made me query this.

Hope that might help some of you! Good Luck!