Did you mean: 

backup exec 2012 for sql server 2008

chewychewy
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Need your advise here.

Let's say currently I have the below backup strategy:

1. Daily full db backup to filesystem via SQL Maintenance Plan

<understand that backup exec can backup database to tape as well. But currently not doing it.. waiting for new tapes)

2. Hourly db transaction logs backup to tape via backup exec.

When comes to restoration, can I just restore the transaction logs backup to file system? (without applying it)

Will need the transaction logs backup files on the filesystem to use it for point in time recovery.

Anyone have screenshots to show if possible?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not sure because I have not done this before.  I have BE to do all my restores for me.

As I said previously, why to you want to use SQL Server when you have BE and doing restores with BE is a lot easier?  If you want to rely on SQL Server, you might as well forget about BE.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

First of all you to perform log backup of SQL on hourly basis you would have to do one full backup with Backup-Exec once done you can perform log backup ,but in that case there is no way by which you can restore this to file system you would have to restore this backup to database ,either to original one or by creating an new database called test

Also would recommend you to perrfom backup either from SQl side or only with backup exec

Additionally check below link

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58674

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74429

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73850

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to have an Agent for Applications and Databases for each server to backup the SQL databases on it.

As previously advised you need to do a full database backup using BE before you can do any log backups.  Scheduling hourly backups is not so straight-forward in BE 2012.  See my article below on how to do so.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-run-job-certain-hourly-intervals-between-certain-hours-day

Since you constraint is tapes, have you considered backing up the database and the logs to disk?  Disks are cheap nowadays and they are a lot easier to manage.

Doing point-in-time restores is a lot easier with BE.  I would suggest that you forget about SQL Studio.

chewychewy
Level 3

thanks.

Do u mean the below won't work?

Let's say I have the below:

1. Daily full db backup to filesystem via SQL Maintenance Plan

2. Daily full backup via backup exec

3. Hourly db transaction logs backup to tape via backup exec

To perform a point in time recovery, I can't use the full backup via maintenance plan + hourly db transaction logs via backup exec?

thanks

chewychewy
Level 3

If i set number 1 to with copy option only via sql agent:

1. Daily full db backup to filesystem via sql agent scripting (with copy only option)

3. Hourly db transaction logs backup to tape via backup exe

To perform a point in time recovery, can i use 1 + 3?

thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

"To perform a point in time recovery, I can't use the full backup via maintenance plan + hourly db transaction logs via backup exec?"

NO ,Recommended way would be doing full backup with Backup Exec and then log backup with Backup Exec

And as said before would recommend using one S/W only to back or you would face issue in the link described earlier by me

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

To perform a point in time recovery, can i use 1 + 3?

I would recommend 2 +3 to perform backup and restore . Also restore would be only pointed to database and not file system as said before

Hope that helps

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you are doing a full backup with BE, why would you want to use the full backup created by SQL maintenance?

chewychewy
Level 3

Hi Pkh,

Ok. Reason being:

1. Daily full db backup to filesystem via sql agent scripting (with copy only option)

Will be on file system. Extra backup just in case number 2 tape corrupted, etc.

Will be on tape and send off site. [due to policy]

3. Hourly db transaction logs backup to tape via backup exe

Will be on tape and keep onsite.

Since number 2 will be send offsite... it will take sometime to recall the tape back.

For faster recovery time, we can use option 1 to restore. So i'm asking is there anyway for 1 and 3 to work together.

thanks

chewychewy
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73850

If i do the below in replacement of my option one above, can it work together with option 3? Meaning the full backup on disk + transaction logs on tape for point in time recovery.

Does this mean it will backup to tape at the same time backup to disk?

"Create on-disk copies of SQL backups to be placed on the SQL Server where the database is located

Apology for the questions as i'm new to backup exec and wish to know more about it before purchasing.

thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you need a copy of the full backup to keep off-site what you should do is to just do a full database backup to disk and add a stage to duplicate this disk backup to tape.  This way you only have to deal with BE, not 2 backup software.

chewychewy
Level 3

Hi,

thanks.

Can we make use of this option in BE?

Create on-disk copies of SQL backups to be placed on the SQL Server where the database is located?

==

Creates an on-disk copy of the SQL database being backed up. This option lets you simultaneously back up a SQL database to storage media while also writing a copy of the database to a disk path you specify in the Save to path box.

This option gives IT administrators the ability to back up SQL databases while also providing database administrators with copies of the database on disk, which can be used for such things as tests and restores.

Note:

This option does not support snapshot technology.

==

thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can but what use is it to you.  This option is for people who needs to ship the database to say a development server which is without BE.

You cannot use this copy when you do a restore with BE.

I think you should download a trial copy of BE from www.backtupexec.com and try it out.  You have 60-days before the trial runs out.  The trial copy will include the SQL option.  Asking questions only gets you so far.  You got to get hands-on before you know what can or cannot be done.

chewychewy
Level 3

ok thanks for ur kind help

chewychewy
Level 3

One last question.

With the below option, if i duplicate a on disk copies of full database backup and transaction logs backup , i believe we should be able to make use of the disk copies to perform point in time recovery without using BE? i can just use to SQL Server restore point in time recovery option and select the full backup and the transaction logs backup.

Any idea on this?

Create on-disk copies of SQL backups to be placed on the SQL Server where the database is located?

==

Creates an on-disk copy of the SQL database being backed up. This option lets you simultaneously back up a SQL database to storage media while also writing a copy of the database to a disk path you specify in the Save to path box.

This option gives IT administrators the ability to back up SQL databases while also providing database administrators with copies of the database on disk, which can be used for such things as tests and restores.

Note:

This option does not support snapshot technology.

==

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am not sure because I have not done this before.  I have BE to do all my restores for me.

As I said previously, why to you want to use SQL Server when you have BE and doing restores with BE is a lot easier?  If you want to rely on SQL Server, you might as well forget about BE.