cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 low disk space

dariopetkovic
Not applicable
Hello, We are currently using Backup Exec 2012, BE is patched and installed on WinSrv 2008R2. The problem is that the drives for B2D are full. Each backup job that is backing up to that disk is set to keep data for 2 days. In the media tab of that storage under Overwrite Protection Period we have "Infinite - Do not overwrite". Where can I change this? In older versions of BE there was a option to set overwrite, append, or overwrite if no appended media is present for backups to B2D? Thanks and regards, Dario
3 REPLIES 3

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

In BE 2012 you can set the protection in the backup job. For Backup to Disk folders there is no Media Set which is applicable. The Backup set should be deleted by DLM in BE which will basically expire or delete the backup set after the number of days it is set in the backup.

You can read about DLM on this post https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For Backup to Disk folders there is no Media Set which is applicable.

This is not true.  Media set is still applicable for Disk Cartridge Devices which are storage defined on thumb-drives and RDX drives.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the media tab of that storage under Overwrite Protection Period we have "Infinite - Do not overwrite". Where can I change this?

Is the storage a Disk Storage or a Disk Cartridge Device?  If it is the former, you cannot set OPP in the properties of the storage.  If it is the latter, then change the OPP in the media set associated with the storage.

If I am wrong, perhaps you can post a screen-shot of where you managed to set the OPP.

In older versions of BE there was a option to set overwrite, append, or overwrite if no appended media is present for backups to B2D?

There is no advantage to appending to disk storage, so this option is remove from jobs which are writing to either Disk Storage or Disk Cartridge Devices.

For Disk Storage, you might want to read my article below on when backup sets are deleted under DLM.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/when-backup-sets-are-deleted-under-dlm