cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backupexec 2012 does not catalog removable hard drives

4johnny
Level 3

I am using backupexe2010r2 in production creating backups on tapes and removable hard drives.  I have a test server with backupexe2012 installed in my lab to test restores.  I attach a removable hard drive by USB to my test server, click on 'configure storage', 'disk based', import a legacy B2D folder, and point it to the USB drive.   I then inventory and catalog the drive.  

If I then, double-click the B2D folder under storage, then click on the backup sets tab, I can see a complete listing of all the folders that were backed-up and the dates (04-11-2012), however, if I then try to create a restore job to restore any files from that date, the 04-11 date is not an option to restore.  So i dont think thes backups are getting cataloged correctly.

It does seem to work properly with my tape backups....what am I doing wrong when trying to catalog/restore these USB removable drives???

or is it a bug?

Thanks,

John

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't know how you define your restore job.  After you inventory and catalog the legacy B2D folder, you should see your old server in the Backup and Restore tab.  By old server, I mean the server from which you backup to the legacy B2D folder.  Click on this old server and then click on Backup Set, you should be able to see all the backup sets related to this old server.  You can then define a restore job to restore the data from this old server.

I have written an article on this subject and it should be published in a few days time.  The screenshots should explain the process better.

4johnny
Level 3

I do see the backup sets for that server.  I see

5/4 snapshot full

5/1 snapshot full

4/11 snapshot full

4/3 snapshot full

I can drill down into these to see the folders and files but there is not a restore option when viewing this way.  So I then click on the RESTORE button and it starts the wizard...what do i want to restore? files, folders, volumes,  then files, folder backups, and then I only see the 5/1 and 5/4 dates under that server.  I can choose to restore from 4/11 date which is what i want to do?

I cannot figure out how to restore that 4/11 full backup?  But I can see the backup sets for that date so it must have cataloged it.   Any ideas?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In top of the dialog where you see the backup sets, there is a date range.  Make sure that it is big enough to show the 4/11 backup set. See the last screenshot of my article

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

There is a date range at the top of the dialog.

4johnny
Level 3

Yea, I have date range selected right to include all dates. I followed your article step by step, however,  my disk backup dates do not show up under the restore tab.  However, I can see all that data does exist in the backup sets for those dates.....does not make any sense to me, I've never felt comfortable with this software protecting my data.

Thanks for the info.