cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Backup Exec 2010 to 2010R3 and then possible upgrade to 2012

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

I am currently running BE2010 and am planning on upgradign to 2010R3 I just saw that 2012 is (or will soon be) avaiable and we may opt to go all the way to 2012. I need to move all jobs and D2D folders forward as I upgrade. Are there any specific issues that I need to be aware of as I move foreward?

Steve Uhall

Network Administrator

Westmoreland Testing and Research

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Rebooted everything EOD yesterday. Backup completed succesfully. Now to set up that sandbox to test BE2012.

Let's close this thread out... I can open a new one for any other issues with our current installation of 2010R3....

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Steve,

You can do a direct upgrade to BE 2012 from the version of 2010 you're already on.

I normally stop the AV in order to prevent any issues during the upgrade. Also stop the BE services and grab copies of your Data and Catalogs folders before running the upgrade.

The link below refers to an upgrade guide which you should check out:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180232

Furthermore, be aware that BE 2012 fundamentally changes the GUI and the way you both run jobs, and what previous jobs looked like, so check out the documents and links below:

Licensing

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178483

What's different in 2012

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

2012 Readme

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5215

2012 EOL

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH178552

Lastly, check under the Videos section here...there are some nice videos explaining the new GUI etc on BE 2012.

Thanks!

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

After reviewing the differences, changes, and EOL from BE2010 to 2012, it looks like I will be stopping at 2010R3 for the time being. Are there any issues going from 2010 to 2010R3. Also, will I still be able to get a couple of the options for R3?

Agent for VM

Agent for Hyper-V

Deduplication

Agent for Enterprise vault

Advanced Disk Based Backup.

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Some of the changes and EOL will not work for us. Any issues upgrading to 2010R3 and will we still be able to get the following options:

Advanced disk-based backup

agent for enterprise vault

agent for MS Hyper-V

agent for VmWare

deduplication option

pkh
   VIP    Certified

All these options are available for both BE 2010 R3 and BE 2012.

CraigV

There are no hassles going from R1 to R3. All you need to do is the following:

1. Grab a copy of the Data/Catalogs folders before running the upgrade in case anything goes wrong.

2. Run LiveUpdate after upgrading your media server to install the latest SP and any additional updates, and once done, push-install these to any remote servers you might have.

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Downloaded the files for 2010 R3 and created the ISO, burned a dvd and attempted the upgrade. Did not autorun, ran browser.exe and received an error - Unable to load Language settinds file. Will not go any further on the install and closes.

Suggestions?

CraigV

You might have a corrupted download, but try mounting with an ISO mounting utility. If it still fails, then you will have to redownload the ISO unfortunately and try again.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Use this direct download for R3 instead - http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Already tried an ISO utility. Will download again....crying

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

I'll run the download from there tonight and try it tomorrow. ANy reason not the just use a utility and mount the ISO rather than burnt he disc?

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Ok, the download and install went well. Pushed the Agents back out and the existing jobs seem to be runnng normally. But, I just set up a job to back up Active Directory and get the  following error when I run a test of the job:

Error: e0009b86, The job failed with the following error: Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a trust relationship was not established between the remote agent and the media server.

CraigV

...go to your selection list and browse to the server giving you the error. If you click it to expand, it will automatically prompt you to establish the trust, which is what you should do.

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

Could not establish trust. uninstalled RAWS from server and pushed it out again. Test still wouldn't work, but I ran the AD backup job just to see what would happen and it did complete succesfully.

CraigV

Did you try browsing the server in question from your selection list? Also, if there is a firewall active on the server giving you the error, make sure the correct ports are open:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49563

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

The Active dDirectory backup job now appears to be running ok,  The next job with an issue is the Exchange backup.

BTW - Firwalls are disabled on the server. Have had occasion to browse and RDP to the server. BE Consol indicates that the remote agents ARE up to date. Other than updating the remote agent, there were no changes to the server set up - ie:no ports were opened or closed. All jobs worked before the upgrade. I did review the selections in the Job yesterday and noticed that the information stores were no longer selected, but the LOG File locxations were. I reselected the informatin stores and saved the change. I did find it strange that the selections were dropped.

Last night's job log as follows:

Job server: WMTR-BACKUP
Job name: Exchange
Job started: Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 10:00:05 PM
Job type: Backup
Job Log: BEX_WMTR-BACKUP_01302.xml

Drive and media mount requested: 3/22/2012 10:00:05 PM

No appendable media could be mounted.
Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

Device and Media Information
Drive and media information from media mount: 3/22/2012 10:00:06 PM
Drive Name: MAILSTORE BU
Media Label: B2D000510
Media GUID: {836aa1f8-25d3-47bf-9a61-501201768d7c}
Overwrite Protected Until: 3/29/2012 10:00:06 PM
Appendable Until: 12/31/1899 7:00:00 PM
Targeted Media Set Name: Exchange

All Media Used
 B2D000510

Job Operation - Backup  
Backup Options
Media operation - Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

Compression Type: Hardware [if available, otherwise none]

Encryption Type: None

The remote computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade the remote agent to enable secure communication between the agent and Backup Exec media servers.
The remote computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade the remote agent to enable secure communication between the agent and Backup Exec media servers.

Server - Server.DOMAIN.com
V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.
Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\L:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume L: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Network control connection is established between (Backup Exec server IP):60112 <--> (MailStore IP):10000
Network data connection is established between    (Backup Exec server IP):60127 <--> (MailStore IP):1025

Set Information - \\Server.DOMAIN.com\L:
Backup Set Information
Family Name: "Media created 3/22/2012 10:00:05 PM"
Backup of "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\L:"
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Exchange"
Backup Method: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 3/22/2012 at 10:00:28 PM.
Backup completed on 3/22/2012 at 10:00:29 PM.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 3 files in 6 directories.
Processed 3,151,488 bytes in  1 second.
Throughput rate: 180 MB/min
Compression Type: None

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\Microsoft Information Store\Third Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

AOFO: Started for resource: "\\Server.DOMAIN.com\E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
The snapshot provider used by VSS for volume E: - Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 (Version 1.0.0.7).
Network control connection is established between (Backup Exec server IP):60112 <--> (MailStore IP):10000
Network data connection is established between    (Backup Exec server IP):60127 <--> (MailStore IP):1025

Set Information - \\WMTR-MAILSTORE.wmtr.com\E:
Backup Set Information
Family Name: "Media created 3/22/2012 10:00:05 PM"
Backup of "\\WMTR-MAILSTORE.wmtr.com\E:"
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup Method: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 3/22/2012 at 10:00:35 PM.
Backup completed on 3/23/2012 at 12:30:02 AM.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 721 files in 29 directories.
Processed 422888569886 bytes in  2 hours,  29 minutes, and  27 seconds.
Throughput rate: 2699 MB/min
Compression Type: None

Job Operation - Verify  

Server - Server.domain.com

Set Information - \\Server.domain.com\L: Logs
Verify Set Information
Verify of "\\Server.domain.com\L: Logs"
Backup set #1 on storage media #1

Verify started on 3/23/2012 at 12:30:05 AM.
Verify completed on 3/23/2012 at 12:30:06 AM.

Verify Set Summary
Verified 3 files in 6 directories.
Processed 3,151,488 bytes in  1 second.
Throughput rate: 180 MB/min

Set Information - \\Server.domain.com\E: Mail
Verify Set Information
Verify of "\\Server.domain.com\E: Mail"
Backup set #2 on storage media #1

Verify started on 3/23/2012 at 12:30:06 AM.
Verify completed on 3/23/2012 at 1:47:56 AM.

Verify Set Summary
Verified 721 files in 29 directories.
Processed 422888569886 bytes in  1 hour,  17 minutes, and  50 seconds.
Throughput rate: 5182 MB/min

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Friday, March 23, 2012 at 1:47:56 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65055

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- Server.domain.comV-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

BackupV-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\Server.domain.com\Microsoft Information Store\Third Storage Group". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log
BackupThe remote computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade the remote agent to enable secure communication between the agent and Backup Exec media servers.

Backup- Server.domain.comThe remote computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade the remote agent to enable secure communication between the agent and Backup Exec media servers.

CraigV

...so it looks like you have multiple issues there (security trust and VSS).

For the security trust issue, check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH156427

Device cannot be found error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH55835

WMTR_Admin
Level 4

I've uninstalled the agent from the server and pushed out the agent install through BE Console. This should establish the Trust, correct?

I've also gone back and verified all selections and settings in this backup job. I don't have the window available to run it now, so I'll have to wait until it runs at its' scheduled time.

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

I just install 7-zip and extract the files directly from the ISO to a folder on the HD myself...

CraigV

That will establish the trust. You can verify this by opening up the RAWS agent on the server in question, and checking the following:

1. Under the Publishing tab, your media server (either name/IP) should be showing only. Remove any other entries.

2. Under the Security tab, check and make sure that the media server is listed there as a trusted server. If not, add it in.

Thanks!