cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backups of hyperV vm's sudenly very slow

dfeifer
Level 4

Backup exec 2012 fully patched on a stand alone server. All physical servers backup at normally predicted speeds. For some reason though our Virtual machines which are spread accross two seperate host servers 2008r2 datacenter have gone from a job rate of 800+ some over 2000 to under 110 MB/min accross the board. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the remote agents as well as the tape driver drivers. november 19th I came in to work to find the backup still going and drive access errors. One of our raid drives had died. Two drives in mirror for redundancy. 

Is there a possibility that corruption on the backup server could be causing the virtual server backups to run so slow? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dfeifer
Level 4

Looks like the issue had to do with our san. The connection from one of our utility servers had gone in to degraded mode and I presume it was saturating the network with calls. We rebooted that server and that night everything went back to normal. Pretty weird since there is nothing it uses the san network for. Still has the connection because it used to be our backup server and is not part of the nightly backups.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Normally, when a RAID drive dies, I/O will be slow until the drive is replaced and the RAID array is re-built.

dfeifer
Level 4

Looks like the issue had to do with our san. The connection from one of our utility servers had gone in to degraded mode and I presume it was saturating the network with calls. We rebooted that server and that night everything went back to normal. Pretty weird since there is nothing it uses the san network for. Still has the connection because it used to be our backup server and is not part of the nightly backups.