cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.bkf File Size Questions, When should I start a new file when backing up to Disk?

Mike_Zorzi
Level 2
I am backing up 2 servers to a storage array, and I am looking for a little help. I am using Backup Exec 12 for Windows 2008, and the .bkf files are getting large after a few weeks. Should I be some how creating a new .bkf files every once in a while so the file don't get too big and possible corrupt? Or is this not an issue? Is that where the Vault comes in to play? Please give me a hand I am not sure if this will come back to bite me when I need it. Thanks Mike
1 REPLY 1

phartman
Level 4

I also use the B2D option to a disk array.  You can set the backup file size under the properties of the B2D folder(s) you have setup in Backup Exec under Devices.  I currently use a size limit of 20Gb and have had no issues with that size.  I have also set my media set policies for B2D jobs to only allow an append for 1 day.  This will also split your backups into multple .bkf files and will protect you from a corrupt .bkf file by limiting how many backups are contained within a single file.  Mostly, how you handle this depends on you management style, and retension policies.

Hope this helps.

Paul