Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't see VMDK files for some VM's

ipguy
Level 4

hi all

seems like i'm the one with all the problems

using BEr2 and when selecting alist of VM's i've noticed on some, I can;t see the vmdk files, in fact i can;t see any files at all, when i select the VM from the selection, the right panel just displays "none"

the vm that is experiacing issues is a guest windows 2003 server.

i have another windows 2003 server vm that isn't experiacing this issue.

comments or suggestions ? 

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Check the attachment and this is how it should show, you can't see the individual files in the backup of a vm through ESX though you should be able to see them in restore if GRT is selected.

If you are not able to see the VMDK itself then please check what kind of vmdk disk you are not able to see, these are thin disk or thick disk. Also what is the difference between what you are able to see and what you are not.

ipguy
Level 4
Thin or thick, good question, I'll need to check. Are thin disks not supported ?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

We should be able to backup both of them but in your environment you are able to see some of them but not others. We need to find what is differently setup on the vms that we are not able to see. Please compare the below things for both the vms which you are able to see and not.

type of disk> think or thick

types of storage > RDM, SAN Storage. Both are using the same storage type or not. Both are using the fiber or SATA.

Are both the VMS on the same ESX or different esx. Like 3.5 or 4.0 or ESX i.

Please try to compare the things as what can be different in the vm that you are not able to see. I will check on my environment to replicate the same.

jaycc
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with Backup Exec 2010 R2 (patched with SP1 and latest hotfixes)

I can see all VMDK's for all VM's apart from 1 VM.

HP San with 4 ESX host's, fibre attached to physical backup server and MSL6060 via fibre switch.

Any idea's what may be causing this problem?

p.s all types are Thick

ipguy
Level 4
I haven't had the time to fully investigate as the effected vm's are non critical, having said that I am going to investigate the problem further today and report back with my findings