cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot append to tape set to "infinite append"

rewerbe
Level 2

Running Backup Exec 2010.  I have a partially filled tape with plenty of capacity I would like to add to.  The tape is in the correct media set, which is set to "no overwrite" but "allow infinite append."  However I get prompted "Please insert OverWriteable Media" when I try to run a backup job to that tape.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rewerbe
Level 2

Actually, the job was not set to the correct media set.  Once the job was set to the same media set the tape was in, the data was appended to the tape as it should.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rewerbe
Level 2

Actually, the job was not set to the correct media set.  Once the job was set to the same media set the tape was in, the data was appended to the tape as it should.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When ever you run the backup it can start with append or overwrite but if the tape gets full it need an overwritable media to complete

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following doc

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459

refer the following section  How does Backup Exec choose media to append?

Abstract from the above document which I want you to refer

If any job fills a media, the job will only continue on another piece of overwritable media. Backup Exec will not append to multiple media in the same job. Depending on your configuration, overwritable media is selected from scratch media or recyclable media. If the media in the drive is not overwritable, a message is displayed, which requests for a scratch media to be inserted.