cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data catridge LTO-5 just detect 1.6Tb in Storage

Pandawaa
Level 3

hello i want to ask, i have HP data catridge LTO with size 3Tb, but in storage view in backup exec 2014 it just detect 1.6Tb, so how can i achive 3Tb just like in cover product?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1.5TB is uncompressed and the minimum you should achieve ideally. 3.0TB is achieved with 2:1 compression during backups, and unless you're only backing up text files or other highly compressible files, you're very unlikely to get to 3.0TB.

Run a backup and see what compression you get. In the real world you're looking at between 1.1-1.6:1 compression.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

1.5TB is uncompressed and the minimum you should achieve ideally. 3.0TB is achieved with 2:1 compression during backups, and unless you're only backing up text files or other highly compressible files, you're very unlikely to get to 3.0TB.

Run a backup and see what compression you get. In the real world you're looking at between 1.1-1.6:1 compression.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What you are getting is correct. The native uncompressed capacity of the LTO5 is 1.5Gb. The 3Gb capacity assumes a 2:1 compression ratio which is hardly achievable in real life. This is a marketing thing

Pandawaa
Level 3

Thx for your answer..

CraigV

Just to add...Backup Exec will always only ever see the native capacity of 1.5TB when you put the tape in for the first time, and indeed subsequent times if the tape is erased.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

to further add... BE will write to the tape until the tape drive detects that the tape cartridge is full , the tape drive then tells BE that the tape is full.  so the capacity reporting is strictly for your informational benefit and has no impact on how much can actually be put on the tape.  BE has no control over the compression ratio as it all depends upon the data being put on the tape.