cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

end of data set veritas 10.0

Jeff_Savoie
Level 3
I am getting this error message on backup to tape and disk jobs

Verify- \\MOUNTAINDEW\F: Unexpected end of backup set encountered on MondayDisk.
V-79-57344-34004 - End of data set was unexpectedly encountered.

i have erased the tape and formated disk but still keep getting it.

Please help!
5 REPLIES 5

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello

If the Write checksums to media option is selected as a default backup option, checksums are calculated for each data stream written to tape, and then written in a separate stream immediately following the data stream.

During verify job operation, Backup Exec reads the data stream and re-calculates the check sums and compares it with what is written in the media.

Backup Exec does not compare the files on the tape with the files on the hard disk. Instead, it performs a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) verification of the data on the tape. A CRC performs a mathematical calculation on a stream of data and returns a number that represents the content and organization of that data and uniquely identifies this data stream .This CRC verification ensures the data was stored correctly and can be re-read.

This error could occur if Backup Exec incorrectly read the check sum and was not able to verify the data.

This error occurs due to hardware/media related issues .The following list contains the most common reasons for this error and potential ways to resolve the problem

1) Media related problems: { bad media}

a) Perform an "Erase" operation on the media.

b) Use a new media.

2) Tape drive related problems:

Following trouble shooting steps can be tried :
a) Clean the tape drive multiple times.

b) Apply the latest drivers and firmware for the device.

c) Uninstall and re-install the VERITAS device drivers for the tape drive by following the steps below.

3) Bad SCSI connection

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jeff_Savoie
Level 3
i did all the item on you list and nothing fixed the problem

i ran a backup to disk job and i get the same error

Please Help

Jeff_Savoie_2
Level 2
sorry i did not respond ing time... this issue has not been resolved

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
hello,

Are there any device related errors in the system log. Also check if there is any errors in the application log.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Jeff_Savoie_2
Level 2
I see a Event ID 15

Remocable Strorage Service

RSM cannot manage library Tape 0. The database is corrupt