cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I reinstall Symantec BE 12.5 drivers for tape and autoloader slots?

Hass
Level 3
Hello, I have a HP Ultrium 1/8 autoloader which is probably around 2 years old.

Last week BE 12.5 SP3 suddenly declared the drive as offline. Windows device manager shows the yellow exclamation mark as in driver issues.

It had windows drivers against it and to cut a long story short, I went through everyhting possible and have now got to the stage where it shows in devman but with no drivers.

How do I reinstall just Symantecs drivers for the trays and tape drive itself?

I tried the device config wizard but it doesnt see them. I tried the hot swap wizard and that seems to find the tape drive and then hangs when trying to install the driver.

Is there another way to install the drivers?

thanks, regards
H

Backup Exec for Windows servers 12.5, rev 2213, SP3 + Hotfixes 334837, 336087 & 327039

Windows server 2003 SP2 with all updates.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hass
Level 3
hello all,
I have managed to resolve the problem.
Did various things including removing the device from BE and retargeting existing jobs, manually remove the incorrect driver files Windows looks at, uninstall the devices, remove various registry entries pointing at incorrect drivers, restarting both devices etc and now all is ok.
The registry entries seemed to be the main culprit as removing drivers did not update the registry so upon reboot the registry tells Windows to look back on them and the cycle continues...

thanks, regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Go to the downloads page at
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

Filter for your version and "Drivers"

Then execute the downloaded file

Hass
Level 3
hello Ken,
the option to filter BE 12.5 SP3 is not on there with thelatest version showing as 12.5 SP2.

However, drivers only come up when filtered for version 12.0 of BE.
I went to the link which stated a new verison is available. Downloaded this file be1364R305849_32bit_307452.exe

I ran it and it gave me an error about unexpected termination.

Any other suggestions please? Can I not run the driver install within BE on my server?
regards

Hass
Level 3
update, am running the device discovery wizard and have selected uninstall all existing drivers so I can reinstall them after a reboot.
The process appears to have hanged but I'll leave it running for a while longer.

hardware scan complete
uinstalling symantec device drivers
removing the idr cdrom burner driver (drvcdb.sys) association for tape drives...

just sitting here now.
regards
H

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

The best way would be to powercycle the network.
1  : Turn OFF the server and the Library
2  : Disconnect the Library and turn ON the server (The Library entries will no longer be present in the OS)
3  : Turn OFF the server and conect the library
4  : Turn ON the library and let it come up
5  : Turn ON the server and check the device manager for the changer and the drive
6  : Install Symantec Drivers and Change the changer to Unknown Medium Changer (Microsoft Drivers)

Hass
Level 3
Hello Dev T
thanks for the advice but I have already done that previously.

Backup Exec has no physical tape drives or loader libraries in there, only the existing Backup 2 Disk locations.

The problem seems to be with device manager not recognising the devices and/or applying the wrong drivers to it.

In regards to drivers I had deleted the hplto.sys, hpu1an32.sys and tpfilter.sys
this then removed the windows drivers from the devices in devman and showed symantec as the provider (I'm guessing it reverted back somehow. At one point when first doing this, device manager correctly showed the devices and I thought all was well.
I then restarted the server and it reverted back to not having drivers.

I think I need to look at removing all tape/loader drivers and possibly registry entries so I can reapply the symantec drivers.

I did reapply sym drivers via backup exec but, the problem appears that as windows does not recognise it, BE does not have any devices to install against.

Am I thinking along the right lines and does anyone know how to resolve this?

I did swap the drive, SCSI terminator and cable and tried a different SCSI channel on the SCSI card but those made no difference.
I have a replacement SCSI card but I am almost certian it's a server software issue than hardware.

thanks for your help anyone.
kind regards
H

Hass
Level 3
hello all,
I have managed to resolve the problem.
Did various things including removing the device from BE and retargeting existing jobs, manually remove the incorrect driver files Windows looks at, uninstall the devices, remove various registry entries pointing at incorrect drivers, restarting both devices etc and now all is ok.
The registry entries seemed to be the main culprit as removing drivers did not update the registry so upon reboot the registry tells Windows to look back on them and the cycle continues...

thanks, regards