cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to Catalog .bkf files

Bijoy_Raghavan
Level 2
Hi guys,

Am facing acute issues managing the Backup to Disk jobs and the various .bkf generated by the same. I have a SAN which is not attached to my media server Dell Powervault 130T. I fire my Back up to Disk jobs to local Disks and then move the same to this SAN. My backup job involves backup up of close to 600 Gb of diff data; most of which is databases and transaction logs. The question is when i now go to the restore option i can restore all files including my SQL databases using the catalog information. But veritas is unable to catalog any of my historic bkf files whose catalog information is lost. Can you suggest if there is any method using which i can move these bkf files off site and still be able to catalog them using Veritas, if and when required.
Any ideas or advice will be highly appreciated.
Cheers

bijoy
3 REPLIES 3

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

As mentioned by you in the query that " I fire my Back up to Disk jobs to local Disks and then move the same to this SAN". I would like to know if you just copy it or do u use Duplicate backup method of Backup Exec ?

Also I would like to know the meaning of " But veritas is unable to catalog any of my historic bkf files whose catalog information is lost" ?

Please elaborate more.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Bijoy_Raghavan
Level 2
Dear Ajit,

Thanks for the mail. Let me address the clarifications you need. After firing the backup to Disk I copy all the .bkf files to the SAN. This is pure network share copy and am not using Veritas Duplicate Backup Method. The second point was when I have to restore say a historical backup I move all the bkf of that particular day to the same location as of my Backup to Folder Device. Now the issue is I am unable to catalog all the 10-12 .bkf files in one shot as I have sql databases which spawns across the 1Gb .bkf files.
Please take note that I am only trying to backup SQL databases and not flat files which would have been easier to manage. Dear Ajit please let me know if there exist a simpler or better way to take a backup to disk of 20+ Gb of SQL databases and also be able to catalog them as and when required. Please let me know if you still need any clarification or explanation from my side. Any advice or ideas on the matter will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
bijoy

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
You may run a duplicate job to copy the backups to an alternative location and catalog them in place without having to copy .bkf files to and fro.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255866

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.