cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to recover a deleted AD user with mailbox

Devang_Patel
Level 4

hi i have exchange 2010 sp2 mailbox server on which i have user called sam joshua. we are using Backup Exec 2012.

i'm taking regular backup of mailbox server (Full and Incremental Backup) and AD server (Full Backup). The user id has been deleted from the AD. Now what steps i need to take for restoring that user with mailbox.

should i restore User from AD backup first  and then Mailbox.

Regards

Devang

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi You can restore the user from AD and to restore mailbox of that user ,backup of exchange should be GRT and if backup is on tape you need equal or more amount of space than mailbox database in which the mailbox resides as from tape it does staging in local disk of media server. You can also duplicate backup data fro tape to disk if there is no space on local drive and then perform restore for same check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186427 If backup is on disk the restore would not require staging and you configure the restore and restore it. Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi You can restore the user from AD and to restore mailbox of that user ,backup of exchange should be GRT and if backup is on tape you need equal or more amount of space than mailbox database in which the mailbox resides as from tape it does staging in local disk of media server. You can also duplicate backup data fro tape to disk if there is no space on local drive and then perform restore for same check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186427 If backup is on disk the restore would not require staging and you configure the restore and restore it. Thanks

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As mentioned in the previous post if your backups were done with GRT you should be able to select and restore the mailbox in question. You would first restore the user in AD then verify that the mailbox is active by sending test message to the mailbox and replying from the restored account. Then you would restore the mailbox. If you restored the AD user account rather than recreate it you should be able to restore the mailbox to its origional location if this fails out try doing a redirected restore "just redirect it to the same users mailbox"