cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Script with NDMP Server

rebaar
Level 2

Hello,

We have setup a NDMP server for our tape library backups. Before the switch we were able to use a script to push the backup to Backup Exec. I've tried a bunch of different things to try and get this to work with our new setup but cannot seem to have Backup Exec accept the path that is being passed to it via the script. Under the 'Selection' section for PATH1 we would normally use a UNC path like \\NETAPP1a\sharename\directory. This is where I get a little confused as to what the new path would be using the NDMP. I've tried \\NETAPP1a:port\sharename\directory but haven't had any luck. 

If anyone has any guidance\advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Andrew,

With the NDMP option enabled the only thing in the selection list what you will be able to select are the VOLUMES and SNAPSHOTS. So you will not see different Share from the NetApp server when the NDMP option is enabled.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rebaar
Level 2

Hey Sush,

Thank you for your quick response. So does that mean there is no way to use the script to target a specific folder that is on a NDMP server (sorry I am VERY new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance)? We do a lot of backups but all of which are folders that contain 3 sub folders and contents in each. We do this so we can restore the full folder later on if needed. Before the NDMP we were able to use the script with the UNC path to the netapp like I mentioned in the original post. If I understand what your saying, the NDMP is showing the volumes and snapshots, meaning I would only be able to backup the whole volume and or snapshot? The only time I can submit the script and see that a selection has actually be made in 'Selections' is when the entire volume has been selected. Not JUST the folder I'm trying to target.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Andrew,

You may try the option of Include/Exclude in the selection list. But I don't think that can be done with the script.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rebaar
Level 2

Hey,

The Include/Exclude section worked great when doing it manually. I've been looking around the manuals and can't find any information about using that portion in a script though. If I could set the resource type to 'NDMP' and type being NetApp/IBM/Fujitsu with a resource selection path to the folder as an Include, I'd be set! So you don't think there is a way to script that portion of the backup?

Thanks