cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set full back and 1 day incremental with 15 days retention period

Eion
Level 3

Hi All,

Good Day to every one. I would like to ask to all the experts and guru in back up exec how to do a full back up and everyday incremental. the back up has 15 days retention period. I am a new to this software, so i don't know how to start with. my back exec version is 10d. hope someone can help me how to do it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As your incrementals are configured to Overwrite, BE will create a new bkf file if it couldn't find any overwritable media in target media set unlike tape medias.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

BE 10d admin guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC2353

Chapter 5: Managing Media (for configuring media sets to retain data for required amount of time )

Chapter 6: Backinup Data (for details about configuring backup jobs)

Eion
Level 3

Thank you for the info. I've created a policy (media rotation) to perform a full back up yesterday and incremental backup everyday. then on the media set that i created, i set to allow overwrite protection for 14 days. and the append to infinite. is that the correct one to configure the 14 days retention period? hope you can help me on this. thanks in advance.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

is that the correct one to configure the 14 days retention period?

Yes

Overwrite Protection Period will be calculated from the last write time to media. 

So, when you configure Infinite AP, BE will use media till it becomes FULL. So let's say it took 7 days to fill the tape. Then the tape will be overwrite protected for 7+14 = 21 days. So in any case, backups will remain protected for a MINIMUM of 14 days.

Eion
Level 3

Thank you very much kiran.

Eion
Level 3

Hi,

I've done some testing on it. and it seems that if the incremental backup will run, it will create a new backup file. is it because i set it to 14 days overwrite protection period? so if i set a daily incremental backup it should be 1 day overwrite protection? i want to put the incremental backup in same backup file of the Full backup. what should i do? what will really happen to the 14 days retention period?sounds conflict to me?someone help me on this please.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So it seems you are backing up to disk.

With Disk backups, it is not recommended to append backups. Because there is no use in appendind to disk backups. 

Best practise is to configure media sets with 1Hr append period. 

it will create a new backup file

More than one reason for this to happen.

How your incremental job is confiured (to be more specific, when this job begins option in job/template properties)? Is it set to Overwrite media?

What size you set for max file size in B2D folder properties? Default is 4GB if i am not wrong. When  bkf file reaches this size, a new file will be created.

With Disk backups, it is not recommended to append backups. Because there is no use in appendind to disk backups. 

Best practise is to configure media sets with 1Hr append period. 

This BLOG helps you in configuring B2D jobs according to best practise: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Agiain, when you use the configuration provided in BLOG, different bkf files will be created every time a job runs and beleive me that is the best configuration to go for.

Eion
Level 3

Yes Karin, i use the back up to disk

How your incremental job is confiured (to be more specific, when this job begins option in job/template properties)? Is it set to Overwrite media?

YES.

What size you set for max file size in B2D folder properties?

I set it to 150 GB since the total disk space is 200 GB.

based on what i've observe, when the incremental back up run, it will create a new .bkf file and the total size of the .bkf file (the incremental job) is same as my full back up (62GB). if it happens, i will run out of my disk space because i set a daily incremental back up. please need help.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As your incrementals are configured to Overwrite, BE will create a new bkf file if it couldn't find any overwritable media in target media set unlike tape medias.