cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

implementation doubts

eduzav
Level 4
Hy, I have to implement the backup solution in one client and I thought the following configuration

Scene
- 3 forest invisible among themselves  (each forest with multiples domains, exchange servers, sql databases and files servers , all inside differents vlans)
- some servers away domains (also in others vlans)
- Linux servers, file servers and oracle databases (also in others vlans)
- cifs resources

Configuration
I installed on physical server (hp proliant dl380) the backup exec 12.5 rev 2213 (over server 2003 Enterprise Edition R2 Sp2 with 3gb of memory ram) with has attached an HP MSL 2024 library (1 tape drive + 23 slots lto4) and It has installed symantec endpoint antivirus; furthermore the server has four network adapters (1gbps) which access to all vlan.

DOUBTS
  1. Is it necessary that backup computer server be uploaded to a particular domain instead of on workgroup or it is indifferent?
  2. Is it necessary than backup server resolves dns names of all destination devices, because  I have not configurated dns server on TCP-IP !
  3. Is enough 3 gb of assigned ram?
  4. Are there any problem reported with sem version 11.0.4202?

Thanks,
Eduardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This document will give you the rights that a BESA needs to have

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325495.htm

something reported problem in RU4 with BUE 12.5

Not that I am aware of, but from a SEP standpoint, you should be using the latest versioni.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is it necessary that backup computer server be uploaded to a particular domain instead of on workgroup or it is indifferent?

The requirements for the BE service account is pretty stringent, so for simplicity, most of us use the domain administrator as the BESA so that the backup goes smoothly.  If your media server is not part of the domain, then you would have to test your BESA properly to ensure that it has the necessary rights to backup each server.

Is it necessary than backup server resolves dns names of all destination devices, because  I have not configurated dns server on TCP-IP !

You can use their IP address.

Is enough 3 gb of assigned ram?

It will depend on what other applications are running on the media server, the number of buffers that you intend to use, the number of backup jobs, etc.

Are there any problem reported with sem version 11.0.4202?

This is not the latest version of SEP.  You should use the latest version which is RU6

eduzav
Level 4

The requirements for the BE service account is pretty stringent, so for simplicity, most of us use the domain administrator as the BESA so that the backup goes smoothly.  If your media server is not part of the domain, then you would have to test your BESA properly to ensure that it has the necessary rights to backup each server.
Perfect, any reference to know what rights I'm going to need check in each destination.

This is not the latest version of SEP.  You should use the latest version which is RU6
Perfect, something reported problem in RU4 with BUE 12.5

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This document will give you the rights that a BESA needs to have

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325495.htm

something reported problem in RU4 with BUE 12.5

Not that I am aware of, but from a SEP standpoint, you should be using the latest versioni.