cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insert second tape. What I should know for proper configuration?

mla
Level 3
Hello,
I am going to reconfigure backup schedule jobs and would like to know what should be considered when data size is above capacity of a tape. The drive used is DAT 36/72

Present situation: during backup second tape is required. When a new tape is inserted backup is not continued
tape is rejected. I will go on site in couple of days but want to be prepared.
Presently working with LTO so all jobs fit to one media.

Is it important that a full sceduled job will fit the tape capacity?

Ex. I have 4 jobs scheduled: 15GB 24GB 10GB and 5GB
Let say first job is 15GB second 24GB. When the tape will become full and asks for a new tape.
Could it continue?
Or I have to put the scheduled order 15GB 5GB 24GB 10GB

Please clarify.
Thanks,
Michael.
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When you insert a tape to continue the job, that tape must be a new tape, in the scratch media set, or must have passed the OPP of the media set that it belongs to.

In any of these cases, BackupExec should continue as soon as the tape is loaded/mounted

mla
Level 3
Ken,
thank you very much for the answer.

In case that backup is performed 2 times per week would this scenario be OK.?

1. I will put all tapes in one media set. I guess it doesn't matter one media set or to have 2 media sets for each backup day (ex. Monday and Thursday) since media set will have the same configuration for all tapes (OPP).

2. Configure media set with OPP 1 hour.

Probably I will suggest them just to go with LTO.

Thanks again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
So you will need four tapes, I'd set OPP to six days.  This way the first two (Monday)will always be available the first backup, but will be protected the second (Thursday)

One media set would be fine 

But by all means, if the budget will permit it, go for a larger drive.  Everything on one tape makes things soooo much easier to manage Smiley Tongue