cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issue with restoring one folder from mailbox to a new one

rajkamath
Level 3
Greetings, 

I have a backup that consist of exchange data from an old exchange server which has been formatted and taken out of the domain. I inserted the tape and did manage to go to the information store that was backedup before and try restoring it to another mailbox which is on the new server(cluster server).but i am unable to. 

Every time i try to do this, the restore fails and the agent for backup exec on the cluster server(the active node) goes offline or disabled.the error message that i get is 

Restore 00024 -- The job failed with the following error: Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.

Please advise what to do. I had enabled the GRT option while taking the backup. THe other thing is when testing resource credentials, it says it cannot find the resource or the directory of information. 
4 REPLIES 4

rajkamath
Level 3
this is what i have done so far. 

1.did inventory
2.did media catalogue.(while doing this it shows zero bytes). If i right click directly on the tape and do restore, it says the media is not cataloged. The database for backup exec had failed and i had to completely redo the setup for backup exec once)
3.went to restore tab and selected restore by media
4.selected the date on which the media was used. i could see all the content and it even shows the individual mail items that were there . (this data is almost one year old)
5.went to resource credentials, it fails because the server doesnt exist anymore on the network and i am trying to restore it on a new server in the envirionemt
6.went to ms exchange redirection, selected redirect exchange sets, gave the cluster name for the mailbox server,selected redirect mailboxes or public folders and gave the alias for the mailbox to restore to and when i click run, i get the error , authentication failed on connection to the server.

So the net result is i see the information i wa nt, but i cant restore it. 

please let me know if you need any further ifnormation. help is highly appreciated  and i have a user on my head asking for the data. 

Note(GRT option for backup used)

thanks in advnace,

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What usercredentials are you using ?
Does this user has enough rights in Exchange (what version of Exchange are you using?)

And just to be sure: Are you able to restore some 'current' data to Exchange, for example last night backup ?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
make sure you are using the corect account for restore..same acount which u use for backup.
the account should not be hidden from GAL and shud have a active mailbox

rajkamath
Level 3
i havent tried a restore from the latest backup. so will try that. as far as account is concerned, it is the domain admin account and has a mailbox which is not hidden and its the same mailbox which was used to backup .

the only change here is that the server from which it was backedup doesnt exist anymore.

will update once i take a backup today and restore it back agai.

thanks in advnace for your help.