cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job restore resources - removing

Marcopolo
Level 6

Is it possible to delete a historical resource?

E.g. - When we create a new restore job, in the 'all resources' there is a server that is no longer active which we'd like to remove

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marcopolo
Level 6

Just found an old post by you Craig about deleting the old pairs of XML and FH files, then running the catrebuildindex -r command.

I did find a host of XML and only a few FH so deleted them and left the pairs going back the previous month (which all tallied ok).

I then ran the command but it seemed to remove everything but I'm thinking because I ticked the setting of truncating on the test server, put it to 1 month so it took it from today and deleted everything.

It's not a problem but if you could clarify I'm on the right lines (I can always re-catalog a tape if required)

Btw, the resource is gone now so I acheived what I needed.

Thanks to you both

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

The server is appearing in "All Resources" because of the catalogs, Once older catalogs are purged the

server will disappear from the list.

Marcopolo
Level 6

We only hold the last 30 days from what I can see and said server has been off the system for about 5 years.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...was that server part of the backup from 5 years ago? I don't think this is then possible...what's on tape is what would be available for restore.

If it is still showing in a backup list, have you opened the selection list to see if you can remove it via the text view?

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open catalogs folder and sort files by date, check the list if you can locate any older file.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Just found an old post by you Craig about deleting the old pairs of XML and FH files, then running the catrebuildindex -r command.

I did find a host of XML and only a few FH so deleted them and left the pairs going back the previous month (which all tallied ok).

I then ran the command but it seemed to remove everything but I'm thinking because I ticked the setting of truncating on the test server, put it to 1 month so it took it from today and deleted everything.

It's not a problem but if you could clarify I'm on the right lines (I can always re-catalog a tape if required)

Btw, the resource is gone now so I acheived what I needed.

Thanks to you both

CraigV

It shouldn't be doing that. If you choose the option to truncate but keep 30 days of catalogs, it would only do so going-forward. Not immediately. And certainly not everything.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Craig,

Here's what I did on the test server (imported DB from live yesterday), truncating was not enabled (and months greyed out). I guess this is because there are some drive path differences between the two. I ticked it, and set it to 1 Month.

I then checked the Catalog folder and noticed a batch of XML/FH file pairs going back 1 month and with large file sizes (this would make sense because they were copied from the other server yesterday).

I deleted every xml/fh file upto 10/09/2012 (about 850 files of appos 1k each) only a few dozen fh from what I could see.

Ran the command and it deleted pretty much everything.

Marcopolo
Level 6

Going to run the same process on the live server which has now been updated to Svr2008 R2 and see if the same thing happens

CraigV

Cool, keep us updated!

Marcopolo
Level 6

Worked today, how bizarre.

Ok, last job then I'm done. I want to delete all the catalog files from yesterday going back the 1 month I have set since the backup last night under 2008 was fine. Can I simply delete all the FH/XML and run catrebuildindex -r

NB - I want to keep last night catalog files

Thanks

CraigV

If you do that, grab copies of the catalog files BEFORE doing this. At least you can revert to this manual backup if your process above doesn't work.

Thanks!

Marcopolo
Level 6

Will do, If I'm deleting all the files upto 14/11, do I still need to run the command?

Or is it consodidating the database by doing this and keeping it tidy?

Marcopolo
Level 6

...also, I take i can delete all the files in the catstore (FL files) which I understand get created during reboots but none of them are dated post July 2012