cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overwrite and appendable media question

Gregory_Storme
Level 2

Hi,

I have a problem where backup exec job asks if I want to overwrite the allocated media.

This tape has overwrite protection for 4 weeks, but has infinite appendable set, it contains data from 1 week ago, and still has 184 GB available capacity.

I can't manage to let the job append to this tape, it asks to overwrite it.

How can I make the job append to tapes that have free space and are configured to appendable?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you specifying the same media set? That is one of the requirements to Append in the ADAMM philosophy of Backup Exec

Gregory_Storme
Level 2

Hi,

Yes the media set is the same.

Robert_Oschwald
Level 3

Got exactly the same problem in 12d.

Using GFS policies with b2d/duplicate jobs.

Weekly B2D and daily b2d/duplicates work flawlessly, but weekly full duplicates are annoying.

The weekly duplicate jobs are set to "append, then overwrite", but the duplicate jobs seem to follow the "always overwrite" policy.

This only happens, if a tape change to another duplicate (daily) media pool is running before the next weekly duplicate job starts.

Scenario:

Tuesday Night, the weekly full b2d/duplicate jobs run.

On Wednesday, we need to change the weekly tape, as it does not fit on one AIT3.

The duplicates run the whole wednesday. Also, the wednesday daily b2d/dup jobs run during the weekly duplicate.

Now it seems that Bent12d does not follow the "first come, first serve" rule of pending jobs, as it starts daily duplicates even if there are still weekly duplicates pending from last night in the queue.

So we insert the daily tape and let the daily duplicate finish.

Then the next weekly duplicate job starts.

So we insert the former weekly tape (which already holds data) and expect that the job follows the configured append rule (yes, the weekly media pool is appendable for 7 days as we have splenty of them).

But we always get "Tape is not overwritable" errors for this and the following weekly duplicates.

For me it seems to be a bug in 12d. It seems to only happen if a duplicate job for another media pool is running during the weekly duplicates.

This didn't happen on 11d, before.

Edit:

The problem is pending right now on a weekly duplicate job.

Bent 12d gives me:

Media 'Weekly 3/1' is overwrite protected.
The media in drive 'SONY 1' is currently allocated and is not available for overwrite operations.
Media Set: AIT3_WEEKLY
Overwrite Protection Until: 10.12.2008 17:39:25.
Appendable until: 23.11.2008 16:00:24

(Today is 11/20/08)

The job, as said before, is set to "Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available".

Message Edited by Robert Oschwald on 11-20-2008 10:25 AM
Message Edited by Robert Oschwald on 11-20-2008 10:31 AM