cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...patch package could not be opened

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
In attempting to upgrade my Veritas BackupExec for Windows Ver 10 package on two servers, one was successful and the other failed. The message displayed was a Windows Installer Panel with the following text:

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that the you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

The patch was successfully applied on the first server. The second server had the error. From a google search I found a couple of interesting results. The 1st was Microsoft referencing an MS Office installation, Q295823. I installed the recommended utility to clean up MS Office install registry info. The update fails again after the utility was run.
The other search resulted in a fix from Macrovision, Q106795:
When creating a patch that upgrades two or more previous versions, running the patch causes the following error: This Patch Package could not be opened.
Their resolution is to use the a newer version of InstallShield than ver 7.x.
The latter appears to apply to my issue. The BE package being updated does not have any fixes. The one that did upgrade had SP1 applied. There were more results for the error search, but it appears to be an issue I can not control.

Since I still had a copy of the SP1 update, I tried that with the 2nd server and it failed with the same error has the SP4 update.

I would say this is Veritas Backup Exec issue. What is your workaround, since I have no control of the updates.
7 REPLIES 7

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the latest version of the msi installer and then try the installation of the software.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
From what I can find at the Microsoft web site the current version of Windows Installer is 3.1.4000.2435.

The two Windows 2003 Standard servers I have display the version of msi.dll to be 3.1.4000.2435. Server01 updated to SP4 from SP1 successfully. Server02, per the Update info, from BE did not have any updates applied. Initially I tried updating to SP4, which was unsuccessful. After reviewing the two articles mentioned above, I tried SP1, which also failed.

Unless there is a newer version for a 32bit O/S, what you had recommended was already in place. Do you have any trouble shooting techniques to isolate the issue?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello rich,

Could you tell us following:
- What is the difference of the two Servers?
- Are they both media Servers? Or does one of them (the problem Server) have a Remote Agent installed on it?
- Which build of Backupexec do you have installed on both the Server`?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
Both servers are media servers, i.e.; BE10.0 backs up the file for each server to its own media. The media I am using is the USB Iomega REV 35GB/90GB devices. Since both are media servers the backup software prevented the installation of a remote agent on either one. I looked into doing this, so each server would be a backup for the other in case it was necessary. For example, if the Iomega drive on one the servers fail, which has happened to me twice, I could run the backup for both of them to the same RRDS.

S01.......................................S02
Dell PowerEdge 2800..............Dell PowerEdge 2800
Domain Controller ..................Member server
File Server .............................File Server
.............................................SQL 2000 Server
.............................................Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere
BE10.0 Rev5484.....................BE10.0 Rev5484
SP1 to SP4 ...........................none
Operating system installed......Operating system installed
...by a consultant........................by Dell

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both servers are Windows 2003 Standard without SP1

Microsoft Hotfixes have been installed on both servers and
S01 has some security updates.

When I went to the Symantec website, the "Installed Updates" indicated the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
S01 S02
be5484RSP4_282008...................Be5484RHF7_275166 Hotfix7
..................................................Be5484RSP1_275248 SP1

The information from the website conflicts with the software on the S02.

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
It has been a week since I replied. Has this issue been closed? It should still be open. Is anyone looking into this futher?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Pleases let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can archive this post.

However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

1.You can directly upgrade to BEWS 10d

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281044

Also paste here the exact error message from bkupinst.log file which is under WINDOWS folder ! and any related Event Ids !!

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

rich_Minkowetz
Level 3
Thank you for all your help. The resolution to the issue occurred from following the two Document IDs which were supplied.

I will upgrade my other server to the same software, probably at the end of the week.

The resolution took longer than I would have expected, but it is now resolved. Once again, thanks to you all who provided the correct information.