cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with cleaning tape

bi
Level 3

Hi.

I have problem with cleanning tape in BE 2012. I have a Library ML6000 with LTO3 (2-drives). And configured 1 slot with Library for clean slot. I change celan tape in new, and now i don't see this tape with my BE 2012, but this tape is located with Library. When I backup my project i have a problem:

The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

And error ceaning tape:

Tape alert - attempting to clean drive.

Tape alert - the drive was not cleaned. No cleaning media found.

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bi
Level 3

I check one more time hardware drivers and tests was OK. But when I check backup then I Saw that, when backup was only in drive 2 was OK. When I add backup to drive 1 was FAIL.

I have problem with hardware drive, but test was OK. I must change drive.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You need to inventory the slot/library after replacing the tape. If you have barcodes on the tapes, then run a Scan. Once done, run the cleaning job again.

Thanks!

bi
Level 3

When I clean job retry, I have this:

e000810d - Physical Volume Library Media not found.

requested media not found

CraigV

Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH19835

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Run the HP LT&T utility against the tape library and tape drive to check for hardware errors.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I have problem with cleanning tape in BE 2012. I have a Library ML6000 with LTO3 (2-drives). And configured 1 slot with Library for clean slot. I change celan tape in new, and now i don't see this tape with my BE 2012, but this tape is located with Library.

Is your cleaning slot designated within the BE GUI or within the library management?

Best practices are that the cleaning slot should be designated within the BE GUI.  This allows BE to manage cleaning.

If you have designated one of your slots as a cleaning slot within the ML6000 management interface, that slot will not be reported to BE at all, thus the cleaning tape will not be visible to BE and BE cannot perform a cleaning operation.

Does your cleaning tape have a bar code?  Is the new cleaning tape bar code visible in the BE GUI?  Is the clenaing tape bar code visible in the ML6000 management interface as being in a slot?

bi
Level 3

I had earlier BE 11d and clean tape was in Library ML6000 with slot, but when I instaled BE 2012 sometimes I saw this problem.

OK. I will add cleaning tape to BE, not in Library, but how??

Yes cleanning tape have a bar code, but normal code just like other tape not CLN and somethin number. Yes cleaning tape visible in the BE, and visible in Library ML6000.

CraigV

...if it doesn't have the CLN designation then BE probably thinks it is a normal tape. You need to ensure that it has the correct barcode label.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The barcode of a cleaning tape needs to be in the format CLNxxxL1 where xxx is any alphanumeric characters.  See this document from HP.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/barcode-requirements-hp-tape-libraries

You can print your own barcode labels.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-barcode-labels-why-and-how

Once you have changed the barcode label on the cleaning tape, make sure that you go to the Devices tab, click on the slot with the cleaning tape and check the Cleaning Slot option.  This will allow BE to recognise that the library has a cleaning tape.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your cleaning tape does not NEED a CLNxxx type bar code, but it certainly helps both BE and the admin keep things straight.  I stongly recommend that you use CLNxxx bar codes for your cleaning media.

If you do not currently have a CLMxxx bar code for your cleaning media, then you MUST tell BE which slot holds the cleaning media.  In BE 2012, go to the "Storage" tab, go to the slot view of your robotic library, select the slot holding your cleaning media, then either double click it to get to the "Properties" page or right click the slot and select "details".  then, in the upper left corner, change the "cleaning slot" drop down to "yes".  Now you can run cleaning jobs and backups willo not attempt to use your cleaning tape.  :)

bi
Level 3

I buy new cleening tape and bar code CLN001L1 and CLN002L1. I put this tape to my BE 2012.

Now when I backup my project i have a problem:

Tape alert - attempting to clean drive.

Tape alert - Drive cleaned.

The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive.  Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again.  If the problem persists, try a different tape.  You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly.  Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem.  You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

I changed tape on the other  and nothing. It's the same.

CraigV

...next thing to do is to get hold of your drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. Stop the BE services, and run the hardware check on the drive to rule out a hardware issue.

Post back with the results.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you have just cleaned your tape drive and it is asking to be cleaned, then it needs to be replaced.  Even if it passes the diagnostic utility test, it still needs to be replaced.  Otherwise, you would get the cleaning message constantly.

bi
Level 3

Other backups are getting OK. When I doing backup of every day - Incremental, and one of week - FULL. But when I must doing backup - "One time backup" with files or directories from storage, then I see this problem. Hardware tests are OK.

bi
Level 3

I check one more time hardware drivers and tests was OK. But when I check backup then I Saw that, when backup was only in drive 2 was OK. When I add backup to drive 1 was FAIL.

I have problem with hardware drive, but test was OK. I must change drive.