cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with my device Pool

kevinhyq1031
Not applicable

I am using Backup Exec 2010 R3, and setup device pool for two disk ( 700G internal harddiks and 1.5 T external SCSI). I setup a job which backup 800G stuff into the device pool. But the job alway run ito the first 700G internal harddisk and tell me load the media instead of swap to another big one. Is there anyway I can make the job run into the internal if it full then go into the second one.

Any answer will be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Cascading Drive Pools (what you are describing) apply to Tape devices only   Disk drives cannot be part of one

See  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH17455

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Cascading device pool is no longer supported by BE 2010.  That said, the behaviour that you have experienced is to be expected.  When you use a device pool, BE will use the first available device in your pool which in your case is the B2D folder on your internal drive.

You can make the B2D folder on your internal drive span to the external if you enable the the low disk space threshold.  

Note that the low disk space threshold applies to the entire disk, so it this disk is being used by some other application, the disk space occupied by this application also count towards the threshold.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Cascading device pool is no longer supported by BE 2010.

You can make the B2D folder on your internal drive span to the external if you enable the the low disk space threshold

These statements are mutually exclusive.  Either a job will span hard drives or it will not

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Disk spanning is not the same as cascading device pool.  The former applies only to B2D folders and is a property of the B2D folder whereas the latter feature, I believe, applies to tape drives which is no longer supported by BE 2010.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

bear in mind you can't span GRT enabled sets - as this create IMG folders and the content of an IMG folder (Exchange information Store for instance)  has to be mountable from one location and can't be split.

Other than that PKH's comments in this thread are valid.