cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes" Error

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
Could anyone help with this as I'm trying to resolve this problem. I'm getting the error reported in the backup logs every day now.

"AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\SERVER\N:". Advanced Open File Option used: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider (VSP).
AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, or wait and run the backup when there is less activity on the volumes. "

We're on Veritas v10 SP1. I've seen lots of past calls about this in the Support forum but there appears to be varying answers.

What is the first recommended thing I should try as it's just started happening on only one of our 8 servers we use RANT for.

Thanks,

Michael
6 REPLIES 6

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/194940

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
Thanks Sharvari. I saw the artlcle through my initial seraches but I'm wary about changing the quiet time for the volume snapshot's which the increased risk of inconsistent data being backed up.

Firstly, I'll give the server a reboot as it's just only started happening. It's a critical finance database server so I'll do it late at night.

I also saw that there is a tick box in the Backup Job on the media server. In the Advanced Open Fil Option settings, there is a tick box for "Process logical volumes for backup one at a time."

What is the impact on selecting this and would it help?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
I've rebooted the server and still getting the same. Could you or someone please answer my question in the previous email?

Also, I'm very dubbious about reducing the min. quiet time to 2 seconds on the Media Server. It's only affecting one server out of the other 7. Is there nothing else I can try?

Michael_Hoja
Level 3
This is now resolved. I ran a tape cleaning session on the media server and the affected server's drive volumes is now snappable.

Weird one...

Padraig
Level 2
I had this same message. But I took a different approach. I did what the error said. I ran my backup job when there wasn't so much disk activity. I just thought it was because I was running the backup durring the day when users were using file shares, and changing files. Anyway, running the job at night worked fine. No errors.

Rodney_Flint
Level 3
G'Day

I had the same problem about a year ago and was recommended by Veritas support to lower the minimum quite time. I was also initially hesitant due to the warnings that appear.

I did change the setting to 3 seconds on 15 servers and have had no more problems with this since (except when the SQL Backup window managed by the DBA and the Veritas Backup window collide, which is rare.)

Cheers
Rodney