Joseph_Botto
Level 2
Hey guys,

Here's my platform:

Media Server:
-----------------------
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
Backup Exec v10.0 w/ Windows Servers extensions
Dual Network Cards (1 on production network, 1 on backup network)

Client Servers:
---------------------
Windows 2003 Server Standard/Enterprise
Dual Network Cards (1 on production network, 1 on backup network)

Ok, here's the deal: Originally, I had the media server set-up to conduct the backups over the production network. When I'd do this, Full backups would have an appropriate size for the machines.

I then set-up another backup network, to conduct the backups over. It's a 192.168.x.x setup, where all the machines just have static IP addresses (no DHCP).

Ever since I added this new backup network, my backups have gone haywire. A "Full" backup of a production server is stated as 1.3mb or less (300kb on some machines), and completes in less than 1 minute. The jobs return as successfully completed, but obviously something is wrong.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Completely Expand the job log and perform a find for "192.168" and verify your connections to the client are using your backup network.

Check the restore tab, and see if the catalog reflects what you have defined to be backed up. Checked the selection list of the backup job and verify nothing has changed.

Remove and reinstall the remote agents. Be sure to include the backup IP address of the backup network when prompted during the remote agent push.

Joseph_Botto
Level 2
1) I checked for 192.168 in the fully-expanded job log. The old jobs were using the production network, not the backup network.

2) So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the remote clients on those machines, giving them the backup network IP of the media server. They now appear to be backing up over the backup network! =)

3) In the Selections list, I clicked on Remote Selections->Microsoft Windows Network->NAME_OF_MACHINE. Under the machine, I have checked the 1 hard drive that is on it (E:). I have not expanded the drive, and checked anything under it.

Shouldn't that then allow me to take a full backup of that drive? When I just re-did the backup, it only backed up 3 files for a total of ~348kb. It seems as thought it is *just* backing up the root dir of the drive (because the 3 files are NTLDR, NTDETECT, and boot.ini). Do I have to manually go and select every directory to backup?

*UPDATE* - It appears that I was careless, and somehow unchecked the "include subdirectories" checkbox. Everything appears to be functioning fine now.Message was edited by:
Joseph Botto

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

thanks for the update!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.