cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"...is not present on the snapshot." All SEP files?

Cool-IT
Level 2

I have a new customer using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 to backup a couple servers. Thier backups are stating Completed with Exceptions.

I have looked up the VSS Snapshot "is not present on the snapshot." and found that Symantec recommends I contact the vendor/software that owns the files listed. Well, looks like most of them are Symantec Endpoint Protection files.

I did change the server and domain name for security purposes. Their domain isn't named "domain"  :)

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- \\server1.domain.local\System?State

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\programdata\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.1101.401.105\data\definitions\ipsdefs\20130329.001\idsvia64.sys is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\sep\0c01044d\0191.105\x64\symds64.sys is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\program files (x86)\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.1101.401.105\bin64\snac64.exe is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\sep\0c01044d\0191.105\x64\symefa64.sys is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\sep\0c01044d\0191.105\x64\srtspx64.sys is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\symevent64x86.sys is not present on the snapshot.

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\program files (x86)\symantec\symantec endpoint protection\12.1.1101.401.105\bin64\smc.exe is not present on the snapshot.

BackupV-79-57344-34110 - Note: Resource: "MELYX.domain.local" is not snappable. Attempting to back up directly from the source volume.

Backup- \\server2.domain.local\C:

Unable to open the item \\server2.domain.local\C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\Data\CmnClnt\00017851.tmp - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\server2.domain.local\C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\Data\CmnClnt\00029261.tmp - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\server2.domain.local\C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\CurrentVersion\Data\CmnClnt\00032210.tmp - skipped.

Anyone have any tips on how to clean some of these up?

Thank you,

Cool-IT

5 REPLIES 5

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

IF you browse to the locaction the files are expected to be do you find them to be present?

lmosla
Level 6

in addition, take a look at this link and the fix for SMCINST. exe http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH126412

I also recommend making sure you are upgraded to the latest version of SEP 

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please have a look at this

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH135515

Keep the SEP agent updated to the latest.

Also if you get a chance update the BE and the remote agents to

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 3

Cool-IT
Level 2

Hello,
  Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions.
  I ran repairs of SEPM "server1" and SEP on "server2" late yesterday. The backup last night only has the Exceptions on "server1" now. And that odd melyx.domain.local is not snappable. The Exceptions for "server2" were not listed on last nights backup.

Donald Eady:
  The targeted files do not exist on server1.

Imosia:
  I did read that and you are the vendor :)  That's why I posted here.

Kunal.Mudliyar:
  That tech artical said to upgrade to SEP 11 RU6. Symantec Endpoint Protection is already at 12.1.1101.401. Although I just noticed that "server1" has SEPM, but not SEP installed. We will be addressing that tonight.

Backup Exec is already at 2010 R3 5204. All of the agents are showing version 13.0.5204.

Thank you,
Cool-IT

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Cool-it,

you are getting this exception as backup exec is trying to back it up looking at the registry, information for this files is still present in registry, you can contact symantec endpoint protection team and get the registry cleaned up for the same and than check.

meanwhile you can even try performing step from the article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60207, ignore the file it mentions however resolution in the article can still be used in your situation however it would better if you do it once contacting the SEP team as files listed are driver files....

please have a look at the forum link below which had the same issue and was found that issue was due to registry....

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sql-agent-needed-backupexec-2012-and-symantec-endpoint-protection

hope this helps and resolves your issue.....