cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote B2D folder "offline" despite write access

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
i created B2D folders on a remote share, corresponding media sets, and verified write access - the .cfg files appeared in my subfolders when i created the remote B2D's.

but a test job to duplicate a current selection failed - the device went offline immediately, and the context menu shows 'paused' as greyed out but not checked, and 'enabled' as greyed out but checked.

i did alot of research and am still completely stumped. what's going on here??

thanks...
9 REPLIES 9

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
update: i created four "real" duplication jobs; two succeeded, two of them failed with "device offline". they're all configured pretty much identically, just selecting different data sets.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please chack network communication to this share.
Also check if you created the B2Ds as per this procedure:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266377

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
yes, i created the b2d folders in the usual fashion, aside from using \\servername\sharename format for the path instead of a local disk path.

as i mentioned, some of the duplication jobs completed successfully, and some did not, despite all the remote b2d folders being configured identically.

event viewer shows "unable to lock changer.cfg" error 53 for one of the failed jobs. could this be an issue with SMB opportunistic locking?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Taran,

Please mention the exact error message which you can find in the failed dulicate job.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
one of my jobs is still succeeding, the other three have stuff like this:

Destination Drive and Media Information
Drive Name: TOBIN-InformationStore
Media Label: B2D000213
Media GUID: {AAE0AC2C-E5C9-4D1C-BA65-AA59454E434E}
Overwrite Protected Until: 12/31/9999 12:00:00 AM
Appendable Until: 8/2/2005 11:07:48 AM
Targeted Media Set Name: TOBIN-InformationStore-Full

Unable to determine ADAMM media identification. Catalog query failed.

Job Completion Status
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
Final error category: Other Errors

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Unable to determine ADAMM media identification. Catalog query failed.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Stop Backup Exec services, rename the Catalog folder and restart the services
- Catalog the B2D and verify the result.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
ok, i stopped services, renamed catalog folder, restarted and inventoried the b2d's. this was successful. i will see if the dupe jobs run tonight.

by the way, all the media under my other (local b2d) devices show up in blue, and i can't find a legend anywhere for what blue means, as opposed to black. it'd be awfully nice to have a legend explaining this.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

The media that is Blue is designated as Overwritable media
- Check Media Tab, the media in question are in ScratchM
Scratch Media has No Overwrite Protection<

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Taran_Ramage
Level 3
re-cataloging seems to have worked; the jobs are succeeding consistently now. thank you very much for the assistance.

and thanks for explaining the media designation as well.